• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Support bracket for the rear suspension damper link

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Arrrrgh

Having heard a rattle, seemingly from the rear of the car, I looked through the back seat area down onto the damper expecting the bolts to be loose but they were tight. The link between the damper and the back axle looked as if it needed replacing so a set was ordered - a good price from Ebay. Today I stripped the old link out on the drivers side only to find that part of the bracket, welded to the axle, had sheared and that the link itself was in reasonable shape. DOH..
I suppose on the plus side, if I had not disturbed the link I would not have known about the damage to the bracket. I am now forced to do some welding with the petrol pump and lines in place - not a situation that leaves me with a nice cosy feeling, but I do have a glass fibre cloth that I can wrap around the pump to isolate it from potential sparks.
Has any one else experienced this problem?

:cheers:

Bob

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Agreed. Weld in-situ is the only real option. Welding of bracketing was performed twice on my car: first to create a new left side bracket to replace sheered off original and second, to repair a crack developed on the right side bracket join. Both times the gas tank, rubber fuel hose and pump were isolated / protected with barriers (welding blankets etc.). IIRC area of repair was extensively prepped to remove paint to expose good bare metal for mig welding. But, of course you knew this.

Repairs made 15+ years ago are still holding. Emergency / parking brake bracket is a different story - small cross-sectional area and lots of leverage here can weaken the join over time. Good luck your with repair. GONZO :encouragement:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bob, I welded mine in place about 15 years ago and it held. Then when I restored the car 3 to 5 years ago, I had the complete axle out and rebuilt it at that time. The job done 15 years earlier was pretty ugly looking having welded laying on my back but it held. My fuel lines are solid copper tubing and I believe as long as there are no leaks and no fumes you will be alright. Lay wet rags on everything to protect from heat and sparks. If you smell fumes don't do it.

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Guys

That gives me some reassurance, about to start getting ready this week end or just after as it is Easter.

Gonzo - I have already dealt with the emergency brake or at least some of it some years ago, very difficult without removing the fixed section over the prop shaft.

Bob

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
All done, I bet your welding was better than mine Vette and the rattle/squeak has gone - yippee

The car nearly killed me though. Did a foolish thing and balanced some wooden blocks on the jack having already taken it up to the max, to give some extra height. Put the axle stands in and did the job, on dropping the car down on completion, I foolishly tried to drop it in one go - big mistake, the wooden blocks tilted and the car came off the jack all together and bounced - some may say a good test for the bracket, I say I was lucky to be out of the way at the time.- No damage done to the car but my pride is a bit dented. I should have used my big garage jack from the start.

Bob

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good to hear you made it out alive. Thanks for the update.