• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The family that smokes together

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Chokes together.

I was going thorough a bunch of old photos and ran across this. I know I took this photo somewhere in Albuquerque several years ago, but I can recall exactly where it was. But the "Family Carton" made me chuckle.

family pack.jpg

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
"When my doctor asked me
"Son, how'd you get in this condition?"
I said "Hey sawbones, I'm just carryin' on
An old family tradition"

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It's not the cough that carries you off,
it's the coffin they carry you off in.
~ Ogden Nash

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
356F6F7C-39D1-4415-BA77-9D5B8FCFDA3C.jpg ???

Noticed these labels (& several other graphic ones like them) on tobacco products in Munich.
Do we use these type of labels too?

Also, I think we may be overtaking Europe in the smoking dept.
don't see near as many smokers over here as in the past

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I was in St. Martin cigarettes were 2.10 a pack compared to I'm guessing about 5.00 here
and the over wrap label very bluntly read SMOKING KILLS
that should get your attention

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
View attachment 48032 ???

Noticed these labels (& several other graphic ones like them) on tobacco products in Munich.
Do we use these type of labels too?

Also, I think we may be overtaking Europe in the smoking dept.
don't see near as many smokers over here as in the past

They use them here - and I think in parts (at least) of the USA - currently the gubbmint is talking about plain paper packaging (no "branding") and the industry is fightiing back with the argument that it will encourage smuggling which encourages gang activity. I have no idea.

Smuggling is a big deal here, particularly with the various native territories that straddle the Canada/USA borders - a couple of years ago Big Tobacco was discovered to be colluding with the smugglers.

and of course just a couple years ago:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...employees-smoking-workplace-article-1.1984550

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm amazed at all the college students who smoke.I'd think that
they'd be smarter (in that regard) than my generation.
I work in a grocery store,& almost all of the younger employees smoke.
I'd think that the cost would deter them,if nothing else.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I had my first - and last - back in high school. At first breath, I thought - who the heck wants to do this? blech!

And never again.

Also helped that when I was about 10, mom took one long drag on her cigarette, then blew through a kleenex. Left a big brown spot.

She looked at me and said "now imagine what my lungs look like after smoking a pack of these every day".

That pretty much sold me against even trying - tho' I did weaken that one time in HS.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I had my first - and last - back in high school. At first breath, I thought - who the heck wants to do this? blech!

And never again.

Also helped that when I was about 10, mom took one long drag on her cigarette, then blew through a kleenex. Left a big brown spot.

She looked at me and said "now imagine what my lungs look like after smoking a pack of these every day".

That pretty much sold me against even trying - tho' I did weaken that one time in HS.

Joining the military is what did me in. "Smoke em if you got em" was a call of the Drill Sergeant when it was time for a five minute break. I smoked s little in High School, but didn't really get hooked until the military! Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I finally kicked it for good in 1990.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I got started smoking in college, influenced by a girlfriend who smoked.
habit "increased steam" with 1st. prof. job at a publishing company where it seemed like everybody smoked.
literally had to move on from that job/company to start quitting.
(it was also a heavy drinking company as well) liked the work, got tired of the life after 2 years.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

And never again.

Similar story here. That's the ONLY time I've ever been grateful for having asthma as a child! Pretty much the deciding factor against ever starting the habit.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I started at a too early age because "everyone else did". Quit probably a dozen times or more but never lasted more than a few weeks. Surgeon finally got my attention with "if you won't quit smoking then we should just cancel this surgery as a waste of my time and your money." That was Jan 2, 1978 and haven't touched one since. Maybe best thing I ever did.

Country flag
My wife's brother, one of the most talented mechanics I've ever known, smoked daily. He rolled his own using tobacco that was free of all the chemicals of commercial cigarettes. Christmas day my wife gets a call. "The Doctors say I have 30-60 days." His lungs were clear - stage 4 liver cancer. 21 days later he was gone.