• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonight's Trivia Question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, went to a funeral today of the brother of a family friend. Was a lovely service though a tad long.

On the bulletin cover, after the man's name were these three letters U.E.L.

What does U.E.L. stand for?

Tom can't answer. ;p

Hint. It would be used in Canada not the USA.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
University of East London?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Now I'm confused. In your first post you said it would be used in Canada not USA?

Yes, both statements are true.

Tom, you want to give it a crack?

D

Deleted member 8987

United Empire Loyalists of Canada

Uel: (will of God ), one of the family of Bani, who during the captivity had married a foreign wife. ( Ezra 10:34 )
Upper Explosive Limit:

Highest concentration (percentage) of a gas or vapor in air capable of producing a flash of fire in presence of an ignition source (arch, flame, heat). Concentrations higher than UEL are 'too rich' to burn. Also called upper flammable limit (UFL). See also lower explosive limit.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
United Empire Loyalists of Canada

:winner1: Direct descendant of those loyal to the crown who left America during the revolution. The north side of Lake Ontario & the St Laurence River is thick with Loyalist history - but so far as I know this is the first time I have met a Loyalist family.

BTW I am pretty sure I had a daughter of the Confederacy in my last church. and, have a colleague who is a direct descendant of the first person baptized in the USA - think Ponce de Leon not pilgrims.

and my mother came to Canada in 1956 - and my father 1958.

On the other hand, here is part of my family tree. #120 x. Arie Cornelis Oorebeek, * 02-05-1894 Spijkenisse. he married Geertruida Marretje King were my Maternal Grandfather and grandmother (English translation King is actually Koning)

https://sites.google.com/site/koenegenealogie/Home/nog-meer-families-van-flakkee/frans-oorbeek

D

Deleted member 8987

My (count 'em, 5) great, great, great, great, great grandfather's brother was Robert E. Lee.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My (count 'em, 5) great, great, great, great, great grandfather's brother was Robert E. Lee.

I have shaken the hand of the man who shook the hand of the man who shook the hand of Jefferson Davis. (which means three handshakes between 2017 and the Civil War)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And I'm th' bastage son of th' last king of England. :smirk:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My great great great great great grand father was a chicken farmer in Ireland.

I'm with you boss - looking at my family tree it is hard to imagine a less auspicious lot.

Interestingly according to family legend, on my father's side, one of my "greats" was the brother of the founder of this company: https://www.smit.com/ the two were builders together but my ancestor wanted nothing to do with building those newfangled iron ships - preferring instead the tried and true wood. Guess who history vindicated? :rolleyes:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And I'm th' bastage son of th' last king of England. :smirk:

'splains a lot - living in exile until you make your move to place your flip flops back on royal soil - and moves back into Buckingham hovel! :grin:

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
:winner1: Direct descendant of those loyal to the crown who left America during the revolution. The north side of Lake Ontario & the St Laurence River is thick with Loyalist history - but so far as I know this is the first time I have met a Loyalist family.

BTW I am pretty sure I had a daughter of the Confederacy in my last church. and, have a colleague who is a direct descendant of the first person baptized in the USA - think Ponce de Leon not pilgrims.

and my mother came to Canada in 1956 - and my father 1958.

On the other hand, here is part of my family tree. #120 x. Arie Cornelis Oorebeek, * 02-05-1894 Spijkenisse. he married Geertruida Marretje King were my Maternal Grandfather and grandmother (English translation King is actually Koning)

https://sites.google.com/site/koenegenealogie/Home/nog-meer-families-van-flakkee/frans-oorbeek

That's interesting stuff!
i don't recall hearing about the UEL before.

John-Peter, your ancestors apparently wanted to use every letter in the Dutch(?) alphabet, many times.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That's interesting stuff!
i don't recall hearing about the UEL before.

John-Peter, your ancestors apparently wanted to use every letter in the Dutch(?) alphabet, many times.

true! (same alphabet BTW) my Mother's maiden name is Oorebeek and they started as Oorbeek - so yes, they had a spare 'e'

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have shaken the hand of the man who shook the hand of the man who shook the hand of Jefferson Davis. (which means three handshakes between 2017 and the Civil War)

Finishing this thought. (handshakes across time) I do a lot of elder training in the churches I work with - elders are ordained by the laying on of hands literally since bible times (Acts 6:6) so - if I can remember who laid hands on me (I can) and they can remember who laid hands on them, at some point someone is going to say - Paul and Barnabas laid hands on me.

If one of the people who laid hands on me was 25 years old than me (which she was - and for Presbyterians is not a stretch) and likewise someone who laid hands on her was 25 years older (and so on) we are only talking about a 80 or so people between us and Paul and Barnabas in the bible - history is not that long ago.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight

"This is my great-grandfather's axe. My grandfather put a new head on it and my father gave it a new handle, but this is my great-grandfather's axe."
(Old Lithuanian saying)