• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGA opinions?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks like some bodywork was done to the starboard side, can't tell from the pix. Also would that engine seem to be an MGB one? I'd want to see it up close and underneath before I'd commit to that kind of money for it. Just my tuppence worth.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The photo is wrong, but the site won't let me delete it and replace it with the correct one for whatever reason.?? :soapbox: Moving on.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - just hit Edit on the post, then scroll down to Manage Attachments.

That's where you can delete the photo.

TomM.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Easier to post the correct one! Not sure if there is an external difference between the 1500 and 1600 engines, but here is the factory engine. PJ
The MGB 1800 is different to some degree externally.

View attachment 47404

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Paul. Other than displacement, what are the differences in the engines?

TM

Tom, Naturally the displacement between the 1500 & 1600 are different, but I don't know if there are any distinctive external differences where one can be identified from the other, block numbers would surly tell. Of course a matching number car would have the original factory engine. I might be a little prejudice as the A coupe is my favorite of the bunch! PJ

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think for my purposes (30-50 mph tooling around our curving New England blacktop roads), any functioning engine would be fine with me.

A colorful description of the Twin Cam, from a Time magazine article awhile back:

"It was a leaking, piston-burning, plug-fouling nightmare of a motor that required absolute devotion to things like ignition timing, fuel octane and rpm limits, less the whole shebang vomit connecting rods and oil all over the road. Many years after the engine was taken out of service, it was discovered that the problem lay in the carburetors. At certain rpm, resonant frequencies would cause the fuel mixture to froth, leaning out the fuel and burning the pistons. I've never had any such trouble with my iron-block, pushrod, lawn tractor engine. I'm just saying."

Just sayin'

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
OK, I'm going to stick my nose out a bit and say, from what I see in the car, the price seems to be a fair one, as long as there is no rust out where panels need replacing, maybe a little bargaining would be in order to your benefit. Of course I would want to hear it run and possibly drive it if possible to check out the drive train.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - same here. I'm in no hurry, and just now learning some details of what to look for (and look out for) in MGAs.

Thanks.
TM

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
On second look, it seems it is a 1500/1600 MGA mill. Have to read the tag & casting I.D. on the block to tell. I was looking for the intake manifold firing order plate & studs, looks like it is obscured by the piece that holds the cable sheath. The carbs are right for the A as well.

I like the coupes too but without being able to give it a good eyeballing, it's anyone's guess as to what's under the bonnet or the paint.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And until I can find someone with an MGA coupe here in southern New England - I don't know if I'll even fit inside. Still no replies from local MG clubs.

5'10", 150 lbs. (and not as limber as I used to be ...)

One thing I remember about my TR3 - you needed to wear small shoes to fit your feet on those pedals!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My two cents worth. As I've posted here before, I had a 1959 Twin Cam for 6 months, bought new. Nice tight car, no rattles but a plug-fouling nightmare and heavy steering due to tc engine. Avoid at all costs. My brother had a regular '56 MGA, a better car in all respects. MGAs are tighter then TRs (at least they were when newer) but nowhere near as fast. Rack & pinion steering and wonderful handling. Small trunk due to styling which I consider the best looking MG of all time. I worked on several back in Boston in 1957, Easy to tune and work on, usual SUs, etc. Check today for rust. Coupes are very rare I would think. I don't think I ever saw one. If you get it, I'll drive up to see it when I come back from Florida.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
In the irst photo the carbs are HS4's, in the second they APPEAR to be the correct H4's- in the first the exhaust manifold is MGB, in the second I can't see what it is.
I am also 5' 10" and 150 and I fit in my MGA just fine!
BillM

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
No Tom, mine is a roadster but my next door neighbor has an MGA coupe and it is the same, no problem.
BillM

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bill, thanks again.

Say, I didn't get any response when I asked this in an earlier thread here:

What's the width of the MGA with the two doors fully open? (I'm thinking of storage area I'll need for the car.)

Thanks.
Tom M.
Let the adventure begin!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No Tom, mine is a roadster but my next door neighbor has an MGA coupe and it is the same, no problem.
BillM

Your neighbor has an MG? So does he complain about those "Danged Convertible Owner's"
next door?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
He has 3 MGA roadsters and one coupe, his son in law has a convertajag and his wife has a convertabeetle-
he doesn't complain about my junk! :smile:
Bill