• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Websites vs. Facebook

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
More and more when I Google a shop, store, restaurant, etc., I find they have a Facebook page - but not a website.

And of course, almost all the Facebook pages request a Facebook Login. If you don't sign in, the page gradually covers up with a "please login" box. Same for Pinterest.

No thanks.

Does anyone else run into this?

Sure as heck I'm not joining Facebook (with all the tentacles it grasps you with), to find a product. Wonder if the folks who create those Facebook pages realize they're likely losing some customers. You can make Facebook homepages "public" - but I'm betting most don't know to do that.

Thanks.
Tom M.

D

Deleted member 8987

I have not had that particular issue. Either they have a workaround on the site, or my FB Blockers kill it. I have several various FB and g+ blockers.
They even keep those annoying icons on your favourite webpages GONE, as in PERMANENTLY gone.
What is your OS and browser?
Got an example?

I know a lot of folks do not realize the Brave New World of full integration 10 has dumped on them.
To the point you won't be able to buy a new PC now that does not have an Intel or AMD processor that will ONLY work with 10.
Kid you naught.

D

Deleted member 8987

I take that partially back. I removed those when I found RIP (Remove It Permanently), which does script that ABP (Ad Block Plus) won't block.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Zuckerberg is a globalist Billionaire who wants to control all information flow on the internet (no, I'm not wearing a tin foil hat). Hard for little websites like us to compete with his bucks!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I hear you there. But my question is why so many businesses are leaving websites and moving to Facebook only? FB isn't paying the businesses.

Edit: More specifically, why are businesses leaving "public" websites that they own (or control) that are free for anyone to view, and moving to a "You Must Log In to Continue" Facebook page?

I'm guessing that the business doesn't realize non-Facebook folks are "locked out".

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I hear you there. But my question is why so many businesses are leaving websites and moving to Facebook only? FB isn't paying the businesses.

Edit: More specifically, why are businesses leaving "public" websites that they own (or control) that are free for anyone to view, and moving to a "You Must Log In to Continue" Facebook page?

I'm guessing that the business doesn't realize non-Facebook folks are "locked out".

If I was going to guess it;s because they feel FB, which tracks every more you make on the net, is a better way for them to target YOU.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good guess I think. But I don't think the business gets the tracking info - I think only Facebook gets that. So what's the advantage for the business to leave its own "anyone can view" website, and go to a "only some people can view" site?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Good guess I think. But I don't think the business gets the tracking info - I think only Facebook gets that. So what's the advantage for the business to leave its own "anyone can view" website, and go to a "only some people can view" site?

They probably know that if, for example, they have a flower pot business, everyone who ever mentions flower pots in any post on FB will get there web site shoved under the noses of those people relentlessly.

D

Deleted member 8987

Still don't know what OS or browser, and no "examples" to look at.
IF you are using a stupidphone 3.0, possibly the mobile version is playing it up.

I also have user agent switcher, to tell them what OS and browser, and it is nothing like what I am really using.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - doesn't matter what OS or browser. The question was why would businesses stop using websites that anyone can browse, and move to websites (Facebook) that only certain people can browse.

Thanks.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Dave - doesn't matter what OS or browser. The question was why would businesses stop using websites that anyone can browse, and move to websites (Facebook) that only certain people can browse.

Thanks.

Because the number of people (like me) who don't use FB is growing smaller by the day?

D

Deleted member 8987

Like I said...I haven't seen that yet.
Supposedly business pages were initially set up to be viewable without log-in. Some businesses fail to set their pages up properly (google it...I did), but anymore the first thing I think of is how FB views your browser and OS. There have been MANY issues in the past...been caught up in some.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
A Facebook page may be far cheaper to put up and maintain vs. a dedicated site.

Elva164

Jedi Trainee
I've got both a website and a Facebook page for the shop, and I'd think to answer your question the Facebook page requires less initial effort/investment to create and is probably easier to target towards customers in a niche market (which most aspects of vintage car ownership occupy). As others have said, it may also be related to the relative ubiquity of Facebook these days. As far as advertising on Facebook, I'd be curious how the costs end up working out. Facebook has very much become "pay to play" with regard to your material being spread. If you want people to see something, you have to pay. Even people who have "liked" your page won't necessarily see everything you post if you don't attach some money to it. It's pretty dumb if you ask me, which is why I don't go that route very much. The website is there all the time, but has to be shown to people in many cases because small sites will have a hard time coming up anywhere near the beginning of search engine results.