• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT running when parked

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well the weather is warm (6c) and a bit rainy here. my home town of Lexington mass. is with out power and under snow.
the B, last october ran , but struggled up the hill. november and Decmber were "fun"in cancer ward. so now I cant get the B started. Iv put in fresh gas, it has a new Dizzy, new wires, clean plugs, we tested spark we tested a new coil. and we did the valve gaps. and put the dizzy to TDC.

so im charging up the battery at the moment. I might start the Spridget today. and the Jag can slumber till April.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
good to hear from you - please keep us posted

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks. hair is coming back.
did all Bs have aluminum hoods? I've mainly been a Spridget guy.
Just dosen't fire. I'm out of ideas and almost out of sunlight for the day.

Country flag
Points tend to corrode when sitting and especially if its been damp. Run some sandpaper thru the points. Use a screwdriver and stick them thru points with ign sw on. You should see fire, if not change points.
Marv

Aluminum bonnets were on mgb up until 69, they continued using them on the mgb gt until about 71.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a new 123Ignition dizzy it was running ok last summer its optical so nothing to carrode I guess i have to check all the wires in and out. a friend had new coil we tryed that no luck. and i tryed the sparkpulgs 180 out but no supprise no joy.

cleaned the plugs and looked at the electrial contacts. I poped off one air filter.. the car just belshed out the start gass from the carb un burnt.

dklawson

Yoda
If the ignition was working when parked, it is unlikely to be the cause of the problem now... and the plugs certainly wouldn't have somehow become 180 degrees out on their own. However, obviously start with cheap items like checking the plugs, cap, and wires to make sure they are in good shape. Put the plugs back to the correct firing order.

Once you are sure the ignition is OK, move on to fuel. Carbs don't jump out of adjustment either. However, crud can block fuel filters and float valves. Fuel gum and varnish can also build up in the jet and needle from long term sitting. Therefore, make sure not only that fuel is getting TO the carb but INTO the carb. That means looking in the float bowls (easier on HS than HIF carbs).

You said the carb belched back the starting fluid (presumably a backfire through the carb). Assuming you have not altered the engine's ignition timing, that the spark plugs are back in their proper order, and that the engine ran OK before, carb backfires are an indication of a lean burn problem... a further suggestion you check that the carb is getting gas inside.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well finaly had a warm day and some free time. no luck the gas hose is leaking going in to the fliter but the filter is full.
new dizzy no luck. gas dose either belch out of the carb or ignight in the exsastmanifold. before i pop the carbs off. could it be the TAch is fried?
steve

dklawson

Yoda
Bypassing or removing the tach would be a simple enough task. However, when I have seen tach failures on cars they typically ground the ignition and completely stop the creation of any sparks. (No trying to run and no backfires).

If you are not familiar with how to bypass or remove the tach from the circuit, write back and let us know if it is a Smiths RVC or RVI tach (it will be written somewhere on the gauge face).

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok its not the tach i put in a spare no change
steve

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
its running.
I started the sprite so i guess the B got jelious and decied to start.
I ran it till the temp went up. ill do the timming monday when its suppose to be warm
steve

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok its not running well. no power on the hill. I had the choke pulled to get it up the hill.

clean plugs, new dizzy, coil tested, new wires, fresh gas, new needle jets, new gas hoses. timing very advanced almost past what i can see on the wheel when looking down with the timing gun.
steve