• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Hardtop bracket

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Has anyone made any of the hardtop mounting brackets? There are five on the bottom of the top and I am missing the middle one. I have posted in the classifieds for one, but I may be able to make one. Any suggestions?
thanks

adcronin

Freshman Member
Country flag
I had to make mine. Used 1/8" thick x 1" steel stock and cut out, bent and drilled. Then had them chromed. I may be able to locate the patterns I used if it helps you. May take a little time to go thru "stuff" to find however. I can also take some photos of the brackets if that helps with a tape measure for scale.
Has anyone made any of the hardtop mounting brackets? There are five on the bottom of the top and I am missing the middle one. I have posted in the classifieds for one, but I may be able to make one. Any suggestions?
thanks

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm missing one as well. If there is any part of the TR3 I could make, it would be the hardtop mounting bracket.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
image.jpeg

adcronin

Freshman Member
Country flag
Folks: I have been trying to attach photos and a drawing to this post several times with out any success....so if you would like a 1/4" scale drawing of the hardtop brackets and 8 photos, send me a PM email and I will send all to you by return email.
Dan

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Posting for Dan,

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Thanks Dan! We appreciate it

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks to both Dan and Tush!

Just for clarity, I'd like to point out that the original angle brackets on the hardtop were not chromed, just painted. I'm not sure if the color always matched the hard top, but mine are an off-black (or dark gray) for a black hard top and the ones on a light blue HT that I recently sold were more of a light gray color.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The brackets on my car were painted body color.

OP
T

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am having a hard time fitting the hardtop on the car. Maybe it is because it hasn't been on in 25 years!? Or maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to want to fit very well. Do the peg"fit the dot" pieces on the back have to be removed? I thought they would fit in the opening on the bottom of the top, but I am having some difficulty with it. I don't mind removing them, but just wanted to know if they are suppose to be removed?
Any help is appreciated.
tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine fit over the pegs; but the original pegs were shorter than the replacements available today. I've never figured out if they were special pegs to fit under the hardtop, or if the pattern just changed over the years.

doc50

Jedi Trainee
I'm starting to fit the hard top I got from Randall.
Re: side / rear attachments, does anybody know if the (2) U shaped side support brackets are the same dimensions as the (3) brackets at the rear? I know the cosmetic aluminum covers are different side vs back, but I don't know about the hidden support brackets. I see the holes are there from the factory which makes it easier.

I'm making all except the (3) windshield brackets, which were already there.

Thanks,

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thom,

If you look up a little bit in the thread, I posted a pic that I think are the brackets you are asking about. There are two different sizes.

Cheers
Tush

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, Tush, I've looked at the pix and I still don't see the different sizes. Your pix of the brackets appear to be the same size. I used your drawings with the dimensions for the three rear brackets but I just don't see the side bracket dimensions.

Thinking as I type here, I guess I could dry fit the top and use that to get the measurements.

Tush, a question: How did you bend your brackets? They look very nice. I'm trying to use a vice and torch but mine are not nearly as clean and neat as yours.

Thom
1959 TR3A
#TS 34909L(O)

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Thom,

Sorry but not my pics or drawings...some are from Dan. The others are off another forum.

Cheers
Tush

doc50

Jedi Trainee
I'll just dry fit the top to get measurements. That will clear up my confusion....I hope!
I'll just need the dear wife to feel particularly benevolent and helpful that day....pray for me....

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Here are my rear hard top brackets. I got tired of seeing big bucks for brackets.....so I made the support brackets based on M_Pied_Lourde's specs (thank you) from bits I had, and found a section of 1" aluminum pipe for a little south of $10.00.

Took under an hour and they look fine (for my purposes).

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)
DSC02625.jpgDSC02626.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
They look great Thom.

Cheers
Tush