• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What exactly is a tweet?

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I see our illustrious Leader ( not the guy heading to the Whitehouse) is now tweeting on BCF
( or perhaps I just noticed it )

wasnt too interested in Twitter before, but now I'd like to know what's tweeting all about.

D

Deleted member 8987

I see our illustrious Leader ( the guy in the Whitehouse) is now tweeting.

This is the Pub. A place for personal opinions.
To me, none of that has any interest at all. Text, Tweets, FacePlant, G+, even cell phones.
I determined long ago I am not so important to national security and global stability that I need to be able to be contacted any place at any time.
Whenever I see those icons to do that stuff, no matter what forum or website, I use tools I have to remove them, and if they will not remove, I find a new tool.
Personal.
Opinion.

Sort of like point-fired ignition.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You register for an account (like I have @Britishcarforum ). Then you start to follow people. When anyone you follow "Tweets" then you will see their Tweet in your timeline. A Tweet is just a short missive or message that can be no longer than 140 characters. Tweets can include links to web sites (most people use www.tinyurl.com to turn very long URLs into shorter URLs for tweeting). Tweets can also include pictures as well as videos. Wye you are viewing a YouTUbe video, for example, you can "Tweet" that video to all your follower. Did I mention you have it have people follow you or no one will see your tweets. Many times, if you follow someone, they will follow you back. If you see a tweet you like you can "re-tweet" to all your followers. It's not as complicated as it sounds. Here is a tweet I just tweeted which I cam going to paste here just to show how a pasted tweet looks in the forum (Note I had to go to the "Advanced" editor to see the Tweet button. (All this does is display the tweet in a post)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This is the Pub. A place for personal opinions.
To me, none of that has any interest at all. Text, Tweets, FacePlant, G+, even cell phones.
I determined long ago I am not so important to national security and global stability that I need to be able to be contacted any place at any time.
Whenever I see those icons to do that stuff, no matter what forum or website, I use tools I have to remove them, and if they will not remove, I find a new tool.
Personal.
Opinion.

Sort of like point-fired ignition.

Which is certainly your right. I started a Britishcarforum Twitter account and introduced the capability to add Tweets to posts (preferably related to British cars)simply as a way to hopefully reach more British car lovers. Whether it will have that desired effect remains to be seen. But if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. It is entirely optional. Don't like it, ignore it.

D

Deleted member 8987

It all seems to....ridiculous (opinion).

FaceBook..you read what they are eating, all the time, inane commentary, and folks seem to have this stupid necessity to post where they are. Nobody even thinks of privacy anymore.
It's like "how many friends can I have", or "who is going to follow me?"

I mean, it is so contradictory to how I think, I just cannot imagine divulging every little detail or wringing my hands over how many "follow" me.

I remember when the CEO of the company that runs Twitter had his account disabled..some computer action that had determined his account was doing something wrong...and what you read was the horror that the hundreds of thousands (or millions) that were "following" him were stopped from doing so and now he had to rebuild his "following".

Really?

We have come to that so far, four people can sit a a table in a restaurant and not even talk to each other.but text and tweet each other across the table the entire time they sit there?

Sorry.

Like I said in my first, it's my OPINION, nothing I say is going to change anybodies minds..unless I get a Twitter Account, gain a "following", and become a "force to be reckoned with".

I just shake my had.

Of course, I am reminded of the paraphrase I used to hear growing up...."When I was different, it was a kid"

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
It all seems to....ridiculous (opinion).

FaceBook..you read what they are eating, all the time, inane commentary, and folks seem to have this stupid necessity to post where they are. Nobody even thinks of privacy anymore.
It's like "how many friends can I have", or "who is going to follow me?"

I mean, it is so contradictory to how I think, I just cannot imagine divulging every little detail or wringing my hands over how many "follow" me.

I remember when the CEO of the company that runs Twitter had his account disabled..some computer action that had determined his account was doing something wrong...and what you read was the horror that the hundreds of thousands (or millions) that were "following" him were stopped from doing so and now he had to rebuild his "following".

Really?

We have come to that so far, four people can sit a a table in a restaurant and not even talk to each other.but text and tweet each other across the table the entire time they sit there?

Sorry.

Like I said in my first, it's my OPINION, nothing I say is going to change anybodies minds..unless I get a Twitter Account, gain a "following", and become a "force to be reckoned with".

I just shake my had.

Of course, I am reminded of the paraphrase I used to hear growing up...."When I was different, it was a kid"

Yep, your opinion. Like I said, if it's not your cup of Tea, just ignore these posts.

D

Deleted member 8987

I guess my real concern is when it becomes "mandatory".
In all aspects of life.

Right now, even Doctor's Offices want to "text" me with results, so I pull out my "Kirk to Enterprise", flip it open, show them, and "oh".

It is ridiculous...as is golf...or owning and maintaining British motor cars.

I said what I needed to say in this instance (see....there I go...Amazon AWS has determined an Instance of EC2 was running...)

I guess I am just getting to the point...no, wait...I'm AT the point I have drawn a line....for me....no Metro UI, tiles, hot spots, charms, updates...which is why I keep my XP machines running, I suppose.

And old cars.
And an old house.
And a true 1911.

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I was late to texting, but I like it. Sort of controlled contact with my own contacts. It's useful when you don't want to actually call but also don't want to email.
I'll surely never "tweet" as that seems just too immediate (almost like FB on steroids).
Just me.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I was late to texting, but I like it. Sort of controlled contact with my own contacts. It's useful when you don't want to actually call but also don't want to email.
I'll surely never "tweet" as that seems just too immediate (almost like FB on steroids).
Just me.

I don't tweet either. Probably because I can't even say good morning in 140 characters. I do however text, FB, talk to Alexa, use SIRI, drive my fully loaded electronic GMC Acadia, etc. I also love to use my manual food grinder, vintage waffle iron, drive my Healey, Ride/drive Doug's 1950 Dodge truck, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is modern technology and old school appeal to me. I think it all is very subjective. Who knows I might just tweet someday. Of course I'll have to practice first and make up an alter ego.