• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Portland - Finally made it

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Oregon is one of the few states I have never visited, but thanks to a NAMI conference, I finally visited Portland. The trip there was "interesting" (See my Kansas City post). Seem like a beautiful part of the country and I can see myself going back to do more exploration. Here are a couple pictures from my hotel balcony. (They look a little strange because I inadvertently had by iPad on "Live mode instead of just plan photo.

Mt Hood
Mt Hood

​Mt Saint Helens
Mt St Helens

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Can't imagine coming here in this weather!!!
Here's a shot from my living room:
2017-01-12 10.16.03.jpg

That is St. Helens in the distance (with Rainier on the left-hand flank). Looking NNE. The camera makes it look a bit further away.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
the first shot is amazing!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. Now I have a yearning to get back there.

It has that Japanese art or even a slight Ansel Adams type of look.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Can't imagine coming here in this weather!!!
Here's a shot from my living room:
View attachment 46633
That is St. Helens in the distance (with Rainier on the left-hand flank). Looking NNE. The camera makes it look a bit further away.

what a view!
were you living there when Helens blew her top?........1980, was it?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
No, Guy, I didn't live here but I did live on the east side of the city where the view to St. Helens was actually a bit better. Amazing to watch that huge column of ash hours later (see below). That was in May (18th - yes, 1980), but there was another eruption that summer that blew ash our way... just a dusting and nothing like the first one that blew ash to the ash which seriously blanketed eastern Washington.

My only "story" is that I was in Seattle at the morning of the blast and then drove to Portland. We were stopped at the Toutle River which was flooding. Had to find another way to get home. The river was a sea of logs... just amazing.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Another shot from our upper deck (with some zooming - using the cell phone). This one shows the top of Mt. Rainier better (with its double-looking peak showing on the left flank). Rainier is much taller that now-blunted St. Helens.
view - Rainier and Helens 2017-01-04.jpg

The strip of white buildings in the distance are bordering the Columbia River (that divides Oregon and Washington).

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mark,

Where (near - if you don't want people to know exactly) in Portland
are you? I've been there many times.I like the park just West of 205,just
South of I84.
We were in Portland in June of 1980,when St Helens blew for the -
second time,while attending the Rose Cup races at PIR.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Mark,

Where (near - if you don't want people to know exactly) in Portland
are you? I've been there many times.I like the park just West of 205,just
South of I84.
We were in Portland in June of 1980,when St Helens blew for the -
second time,while attending the Rose Cup races at PIR.

I used to live just east of the 205 (near 84), but now live on the near west side (above downtown and just below Pittock Mansion). We're in the so-called "Hillside" or "Kings Heights" neighborhood (which is the next hill over, north, from the zoo/etc. - 97210).
Stop by anytime! Now that I'm retired, short of traveling, we're usually here. :smile:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A shot down my street a few hundred feet. Not our view but to the east... to Mt. Hood. Today.
2017-01-16 12.44.25.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
... or non-driving. We're terrible here in Portland (or Seattle). It's too hilly and we don't get his very often.
Those of us that ski (or used to ski) are fine on compact snow, but most are not.
On our hill we just have to hunker down. 4 wheel drive does make it possible get out, but it's easier to just wait for it to go (which is usually in a few days).

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Our daughter, who grew up driving in the snow here in MD, gets soooooo frustrated with the Portland drivers. She commutes from Alberta district to Beaverton, and says the slightest bit of slip keeps her from work for days. That hill going up by the zoo entrance is impossible.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Our daughter, who grew up driving in the snow here in MD, gets soooooo frustrated with the Portland drivers. She commutes from Alberta district to Beaverton, and says the slightest bit of slip keeps her from work for days. That hill going up by the zoo entrance is impossible.

The freeway up that hill (to the zoo) can become impossible. In a storm last December, hundreds of cars were abandoned (because there was simply no way to get up the hill).

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The freeway up that hill (to the zoo) can become impossible. In a storm last December, hundreds of cars were abandoned (because there was simply no way to get up the hill).

When I lived in Great Falls Montana, it was common practice to carry chains.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Most don't carry chains here. When the ice comes it can come so fast that you can't escape it.
In this last snow-storm (above), there was a main street near my home where chains were required.
What's most frustrating is putting on chains only to have to take them off a few blocks later.