• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Pressing in silenblocs

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Pressing in silenblocs, the machines shops are not around much anymore, so I thought I would try pressing in my own silenblocs. I have a porto- power and an old drill press from the 40s that looks beefy. I am thinking maybe some angle iron or channel steel assembled like box on and around the drill press table with the porto- power sitting in the middle? I thought I would ask the forum and Usually Suspects for ideas.

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
When I had to do this we took the link to a local auto mechanic who had a hydraulic press. He pressed them in in about 5 minutes and didn't even charge. Got lucky I guess. You may have to pay but it shouldn't be much.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would start by putting the silent blocs on the shelf and getting the poly bushing setup.I still don't see how they allow the needed 90 degree or so rotation,if I remember correctly,when the rubber is attached to inside and outside,but I must be missing something.
But usually in the absence of a press a big vice with washers and sockets or apiece of threaded rod with washers and sockets will usually do the trick.
Tom
Edit,sorry threaded rod wont work for SBlocs only bushings.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Threaded rod would work I think, if you used two and some bars or plates to go around the joint. Just scraps of 2x4 wood would probably do. Drill a hole in one for the tapered stud to stick out. IIRC I just used the bench vise and a deep socket.

Be sure you have the steering centered when you tighten the nuts. The bonded rubber inside the Silentbloc will deflect for the 40 degrees or so each side of center, but much more than that will tear it from the pin fairly quickly.

I got tired of the short life of the repop silentblocs, so I converted to the brass/SS units sold by BFE. If I were starting over today, I'd go for the Delrin/SS units sold by Joe Alexander (also available through TRF and eBay).

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I got them out by pressing out the center stud with a vice and then using the thread all and washer set up for the bushing. I have a set of those Delrin type, but it seems like the jury is kinda out on their improvement feature. I think it was Geo a while back who used them and did not notice any improvement, perhaps even a minus. They sure look like they would help a ton, but maybe they move too freely! Thanks Randall on the heads up about having the steering straight when installing.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
... I have a set of those Delrin type, but it seems like the jury is kinda out on their improvement feature. I think it was Geo a while back who used them and did not notice any improvement, perhaps even a minus...

I'm okay with them - my issue was they made the steering a bit stiff because they did not align well and were binding. Randall straightened me out by having me loosen the mount for the idler pulley and letting it relax a bit (re-align) then tightening it back up.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Now I remember the post about loosening up the idler arm and why the frame holes and bolt holes had play. I had the same kinda issue when I had a 1961 with the split steering. After I rebuilt the shaft and box, the steering was tighter and not in a good way, so I loosen the sections up and they seemed to align and balance out then retightened.