• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Faded Seatbelts

DonJ

Freshman Member
47 years have taken their toll on my black seatbelts. Has anyone tried to dye them? If so, how did you do it.

Thanks
dj

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Might want to replace them as they are 47 yrs. old. They might not hold up to some texter hitting you.

D

Deleted member 8987

You can, but that wasn't the original question. The links I put up, one mentions a place that does that...cost him $139 for one shoulder belt.
All things are possible with Jaguars once you understand their appetite for one hundred dollar bills.

One of the discussions I read on faded belts is, maybe they are weaker, but at 1% who cares.
Probably the sheet metal they bold to is thinner, too, and will fail long before the belt does.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Seems there was a place named, "Snake Oil", or something like that, that rebuilt belts. PJ

OK, the name is spelled -Ssnake-Oyl!

D

Deleted member 8987

Tried using rit dye on seat-belts before, and it only looks great from a distance. Your best option is to get a new one.

Apparently reading what is posted is too difficult.
So, I will re-post it (from above) and it will explain why Rit doesn't work. We know that. Acid dye will, so here is the re-post:

Most folks will tell you nylon webbed seat belts won't take a dye. All sorts of "never work" discussions.
Read this:

https://www.g3gm.com/t5945-dyeing-seat-belts

Acid dye...your dye mixed with vinegar.

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye.html

DJames

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well it's 2-1/2 years later and I still haven't done anything about this.:wink-new: However I just stumbled across www.safetyrestore.com, who can re-web new belts using the original hardware and buckles. Wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I used safetyrestore on a wreck rebuild I did to reset the airbag module and seat belt tensioners. I have not used them for replacing the webbing but have seen peoples cars who did change the webbing for a different color and the work was well done. They had a fast turn around and the workmanship with my stuff was well done.