• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Zither!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Any zither players here?

I'm trying to learn ... and have a few questions.

View attachment 46455

I belong to an online Zither forum ... but they're a bit farther along than I am. (like *miles* farther along)

Thanks.
Tom (a/k/a Fumble Fingers)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We have a Zither my wife inherited, but it just sits there looking pretty. Neither of us plays it.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
My mom had a nice red one......but it was comparable to yours like a ukulele is comparable to a 12 string guitar.

only thing I remember is we had a little spring steel soft hammer for it & I would use it to set the stage for Vincent price movies(closest I could come to laying on the organ keys) .........somehow that hammer just disappeared.

obviuosly you are a man of many interest.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Wow....that was impressive.
i can't even turn a wrench with skill & dexterity.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
No three armed zithering aliens here!

image.jpeg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Only 6 tuning pegs. How do you tune the other strings?
I gave up on the guitar because it had those 2 extra strings.
Now have 5 ukes. Still a mediocre player, unable to do anything but strum but I can play by ear like the piano.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - uses a "tuning key" like this:

Aoyama-big.jpg

Pianos usually use something like this, due to the much higher tension on the strings:

View attachment 46467
Actually, I wish those five melody strings used a tuning key, and not the ivory "buttons". Those things are tough to turn!