• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Windshield Frame removal questions.

How the h#$* do you get to the top bolt? I've been trying for an hour. I can't even get a socket on it. And there is a screw between the two bolts, does it have to come out too?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ah, yes - what fun! Unless you remove the dash, it's a real bear. Even then, it's no picnic. Been a while, but if memory serves...

On the passenger side, if you remove the glove box, you may have a better shot at it. And on the driver's side, try pulling the brake warning light thing (if so equipped). You may have to loosen the outboard dash mounting bolts so you (someone else, really) can pull it out a bit, as well.

Maybe someone who's had a bit more fun with them will chime in with more help.

Good luck!
Mickey

OP
kennypinkerton
Thanks. I think I'll just go ahead and pull the dash first. It's all gotta come out anyway.

OP
kennypinkerton
I was hoping to get it so I could remove the fenders first thing tomorrow.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
The screw should not be removed. It holds the spacer in place. If I recall correct 77 and newer is easier than the earlier padded dash cars. Still a bear of a job. I have a snap on 9/16-1/4" flex socket that helps a lot for this job. Getting it out is the easy part!

MustangSix

A 9/16" ratcheting wrench usually does it for me. I can usually slide it in between the dash and the pillar to get it on the bolt head.

31ui4EiONmL.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The ratcheting wrench is about the best solution, and as Bob said, getting it OUT is the easy part.

I'm on record here someplace as stating I'd rather do three MGB clutch replacements than one windshield R&R. :smirk:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you use the attached bottom rubber, considering it's in good shape, then putting the frame back is not much of a problem, but if your installing a new bottom rubber, then that's a different story. Compressing a new rubber to get the bolts in takes a little doing. More than one windshield glass has been cracked while doing this. PJ

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I have a 72 in the garage waiting for me to put a new windshield in. I am not pushing V.B. on the back order since the job sucks . I would also do 3 clutch jobs to one windshield if given the option.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
They are not a problem. Have done some odd 25+ over the years, whilst converting pad facia cars to steel.

Well, their not a problem for me either, but for someone who hasn't done it before, it can be a problem not knowing the proper procedure. PJ

Last edited:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

MustangSix

One thing that helps me on reinstall is to use a 3/8" x 16 pilot tip bolt such as the GM or Ford body bolt. The OEM bolts are flat faced and difficult to get aligned and started. The GM/Ford bolts align themselves if you just get them in the hole. Also, the washer is captive so it won't fall out as you're trying to insert it.

If you really want to use the original bolts you can use these to install the screen and then swap them out one at a time for the OEM bolts and washers.

DV_WebLarge_I_P85414.jpg

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The original bolts were tapered for this. You can load a spare nut in the socket to help. I have many short sockets, but probably don't?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One thing that helps me on reinstall is to use a 3/8" x 16 pilot tip bolt such as the GM or Ford body bolt. The OEM bolts are flat faced and difficult to get aligned and started. The GM/Ford bolts align themselves if you just get them in the hole. Also, the washer is captive so it won't fall out as you're trying to insert it.

If you really want to use the original bolts you can use these to install the screen and then swap them out one at a time for the OEM bolts and washers.

View attachment 46567

great idea - do Domestic car bolts come in fine thread?

OP
kennypinkerton
Well, I finally got that bolt off today after loosening the dash a bit. And I used a ratchet wrench while prying up on the corner of the dash. The windshield is off... do I need to remove the spacer screws to remove the front fenders?

OP
kennypinkerton
And after I got the dash off and looked closely at it, the answer is no. The spacer screws don't need to come out to remove the fenders. I may remove them after I take the fenders off anyway though. There is a lot of dirt in there.

MustangSix

JP, those windshield bolts are 3/8 course thread.

Here's a pic of one of them I just took out last week. Flat nose, no taper, 3/8 coarse thread.

Windscreen bolt.jpg.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP, those windshield bolts are 3/8 course thread.

Here's a pic of one of them I just took out last week. Flat nose, no taper, 3/8 coarse thread.

View attachment 46724.

thanks! It has been a while since I did mine (Midget) but I hadn't realized it was Course thread - good to know! and still a great idea the bolts.