• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB What causes this puzzle?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
My friend owns a 67 MGBGT. He does not drive it very often. We were helping him move. He started the car and drove it about 75 yards to the front of the property for final drive to their new house. Later that afternoon, he went to drive the car away and it would not move. The engine started, but letting the clutch out in first and second did not make the car move. I am looking for ideas.
Lets assume the drive shaft did not drop off, we would have noticed.

thanks
Jerry

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Are all 4 forward gears and reverse not getting drive, or just 1/2? If it's just 1/2, then I would suspect something wonky in the 1st/2nd selector lever to selector fork. Bolt or pin came loose, etc.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Slave cylinder hose blocked from the inside. Pump the pedel and watch the slave blow its piston out. Actually do not pump the clutch until you see that the slave cylinder rod is moving back into the slave bore. That what I would do as a first check. Good luck with the issue!
Bob

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We did not check the other gears, I will do that. I should have the car up to my house this week. Slave cylinder not returning is possible, I will check that also.
thanks, I will post some more feedback once the car gets here.

Jerry

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would tend to agree with Bob about the slave cylinder or hose being the culprit of all gears are not engaging. I've had similar issues on brake calipers sticking. If the push-rod is not retracting, first check would be to open the bleeder on the slave cylinder. If the cylinder will now move back into it's bore, the issue is a collapsed hose blocking fluid returning to the master cylinder. If the cylinder still won't retract with the bleeder open (and you know the bleeder isn't clogged) the issue is likely a stuck slave cylinder.

You may have luck freeing it temporarily by pushing it back in forcefully and then having someone push the clutch pedal. Do this several times and see if it'll work free. The ultimate solution is to rebuild or replace the slave cylinder if it's the culprit.

Alfred