• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Question for the MGA coupe owners - will I fit?

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, but not to LBCs. Been a TR guy mostly, with my last being a 58 TR3A that received a frame-off restoration and was sold when we moved cross country. Finally in a position to get back at it and I'm looking at options.

I'd like a car that's a bit more usable for traveling than the roadsters were, so strongly considering coupes. I've followed Barney's MGA site for quite a while and the A seems like a fairly nice compromise in getting classic 50's styling in a *somewhat* reliable little coupe.

Main question I have is will I fit. I'm 6'-1" and on the lean side at under 175 pounds. I've only sat in a couple of A roadsters, and don't remember having too much trouble. Not sure if the coupe have the same seat travel or not. If you're on the taller side with a coupe, have you done anything to make it easier, like smaller diameter wheel, etc? There's not a ton of coupes around to try out and I don't want to travel looking if it's a no-go from the start.

I'm wanting a car to enjoy as-is for a while and then slowly upgrade to make more usable on the longer tours (North GA mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway type of stuff).

AEN

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here are a bunch of MGA's on E-Bay. I don't think you are two tall for one.
Bill M is presently putting together an MGA and could probably tell you alot.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
You'll be ok but it will be a contortion to fit in. I had a Coupe a few years ago but sold it since I'm quite a bit heavier than you but the same height. It was too hard to get in and out. You should have enough headroom if the seats aren't over padded.

OP
Alfred E. Neuman

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks. I think I'll get with the local MG club here and see if anyone has a coupe they'd be willing to let me get in and see how comfortable it is. Seems like the performance is up to the task of back road touring without any strain. I steer clear of interstates in an LBC whenever possible (although the TR3A did make a run or two from Macon to Savannah well north of 80mph average on I-16:congratulatory:smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good plan -- I've found LBC folks to be very willing to help a fellow car person out with a test drive.

As an aside, I'm 6'1" and 220# and I fit in a roadster fine from a body size perspective, but my really wide feet were not going to work. That said I fit in a Bugeye just fine so it's definitely worth getting into one.

OP
Alfred E. Neuman

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
One of the members of our local MG club has a coupe for sale through consignment and I went to take a good look at the car and see how it fit. I don't think there'll be any issues with fitting into a coupe so long as the seat rails are working correctly. My wife couldn't even reach the pedals with the seat back for me. The only think I might do is get an inch smaller steering wheel.

I'd say there's nearly as much room as in a TR.

Now I just have to find the right car. If anyone knows of a Dove Grey 1500 or 1600 Mk1 coupe for sale in excellent condition, I'd like to know about it.

Alfred

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent to hear that you fit! I remember that feeling when I first drove a Bugeye and discovered that I fit.

Good luck on the hunt. Your car is out there, be patient and you'll find it. :thumbsup:

Bob Branson

Country flag
I've had both, though I'm a bit shorter than you. The roadsters are more valuable to collectors, and if you look, you can find removable hard-tops. But you would still not have roll-up windows un;less you buy a coupe'. I'm in Texas, and I can tell you from experience that in Georgia, unless you only drive it between November and March, you will sweat off another 25 pounds. MGAs didn't have A/C!