• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from Los Angeles

bergerda

Freshman Member
By way of introduction, I stumbled across BCF while searching the web for guidance on how to replace the motor mounts on my '69 XKE OTS, and realized that it might be easier learning from the experiences of others! In addition to the XKE, I have a '48 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports that has been in my family since 1949. Both cars have been languishing in my garage while I spent far too much time working. Now it's time to spend some time on them. The Lea-Francis needs an overhaul to the fuel system as the California gas has gone sour and has gummed up the carbs. I don't think there are any short cuts here - it's a fuel tank removal and clean, and carb rebuild unless anyone has ideas...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF! I have a 67 Type myself. I'd love to see a picture of your Lea-Francis!!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't forget to replace the soft fuel lines and fuel pump diaphragm, in both cars. Ethanol isn't quite as bad as the MTBE we had a few years back, but it will still dissolve old rubber.

You might be able to get away with just draining the fuel tank and letting the fresh fuel clean it out. The deposits from CA fuel seem to be hard and stable, so not likely to cause problems in a metal fuel tank. But if it's easy to get to, cleaning it certainly wouldn't hurt either.

PS Welcome to the asylum!

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF. Be sure to introduce yourself in the appropriate marque forums on this site, and I too want to see photos...especially of the Lea-Francis.

Welcome, and enjoy the ride! I am sure you will get all the appropriate advice from the experts here.

OP
B

bergerda

Freshman Member
Lea-Francis_14hp_Sports.jpgHere's the Lea-Francis.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF bergerda! That's quite a pair of Brit cars you have there. The Lea Francis looks much like the early Healey cars with which I am more familiar. Good luck getting them on the road again. You've come to the right place! (Well, one of the right places.)

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
OK. Finally found another Leaf owner. back in 1955, I had the late Jim Pauley replace the engine in my MG TD with a 1767 cc Lea-Francis engine and gearbox. The conversion never worked out too well and the gearbox came out of gear in the clubhouse turn of the old Thompson Raceway track sending me into a 180. I swapped the car for a 1955 Renault 4 CV and have been looking for it ever since. No one on this earth seems to know what happened to it. Your car looks beautiful. I never saw one in the flesh. Welcome to this site. There's not a whole lot some of these guys don't know about LBC's.