• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First Timer

JimLaney

I'm Jim Laney living just south of Huntsville, AL. In the mid 60's I owned and drove a MK II AH Sprite in Germany. Hit by a wave of restoration/refurb lust, I found locally a pair of sprites.

Bought 2 AH Sprites sight unseen. One is a 66 MK IV and the other is a 67 MK IV (I think)[wrong, know better now...both are MK IIIs]. 66 is clean tub with recent suspension replacement parts and has been stored in garage for 15 years along with boxes and boxes of parts. 67 has been parked under rotten tarp in driveway for last 25 years. missing left front fender but was intended as a "parts car" and has engine and transmission untouched.

Since I did not do the disassembly, I am going to begin by identifying, cleaning, and bagging/boxing components. My goal is to build one stock vehicle from pile of parts. Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated.

Sprite_A.jpg Sprite_B.jpg

Last edited:

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Welcome Jim,

Be sure to post photos as you wade through your project, and if you have not done so already, drop a note in the AH forum page here as well. And then stop by the Pub and join some friendly conversations as well.

Enjoy the Ride.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF Jim! You have a car that is still a great value. Well, two actually. Be sure to check in at the Spridgets Forum where you'll find a pretty active group and lots of expertise.

I spent some time in LA (that's Lower Alabama) in the 70s, guest of Uncle Sam at Fort Rucker. There were some great touring roads there and I'm sure there still are. Also don't overlook a major Austin-Healey Club meeting scheduled for October 12-17 next year at Guntersville. It would be a good chance to meet more owners. I'm going to try to make it myself, all the way from here in Portland, Oregon. That said, I store a Sprite in Louisville and would fly there and then drive it down from Louisville.

Anyway, good luck with your project and post some pics from time to time.

OP
JimLaney

JimLaney

Thanks for the welcomes, and Reid, I will plan to be at Guntersville for Healey meet... I live less than 30 miles from Guntersville. Its a great venue.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Welcome. Best of luck in your adventure. Many savvy folk here. I'm not one of them but I'm in your corner.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks for the welcomes, and Reid, I will plan to be at Guntersville for Healey meet... I live less than 30 miles from Guntersville. Its a great venue.

Great! If you join the national club (for which I edit and publish the magazine), you can stay informed of upcoming events. Also check the website healeyclub.org

There is also a club chapter in Alabama, although it is very small (a half-dozen members) and I don't know if they are active; I've never heard from them or about them. Might be worth checking out though. I believe you can get in contact via the national club website.

And don't forget the Spridgets Forum right here in the BCF.

OP
JimLaney

JimLaney

Added photos of both Sprites to initial post.