• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Off Topic Importation

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm interested in importing a Lotus 7 type car from England and don't have a clue where to start. I know people here have imported parts fairly often so does anyone have any suggestions as to the logistics involved for an automobile? So many questions is a broker involved should it be on a pallet or in a container, you get the idea. Likewise what are the "latest" Federal and/or state regulations regarding such an endeavor ? The last thing I need is a garage queen that i can never use on the US highways because it doesn't meet such and such a rule ?

Better yet, tell me I'm being foolish and to forget the whole thing (if in fact that is your opinion). I haven't gotten my fingernails dirty since i sold the most recent mistake, a cursed MGB, and I'm looking forward to tinkering again. Thanks, Bob

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Certainly sounds like you know what you're doing, can you share some of the details ? Taking baby steps here, need some serious mentoring.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Need to know the year of the vehicle first. There are a few Sevens for sale at the moment...why import?
I have used both container with another vehicle and one sent over as freight....it had to be boxed up.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Certainly it would be cheaper to by a 7 here in the states, unless you really are looking for the right hand drive car. But even then I'm sure those are available. There was a really nice 7 for sale here in California for a very reasonable price.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nial brought in a Lotus 7 (type) car from England a few years ago. He commented that kit-type cars can be very complicated or impossible to bring in. This thread of his goes into some of the possible issues for 7-type cars:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?94755-B-day-present-to-me

If the car is over 25 years old, you will be able to register it here, though it may have to pass your local emissions testing if your area has it. While the EPA is okay with cars over 25 years old, state and local regs can still require testing -- here in Utah anything 1968 and newer gets tested if it is on a regular license plate.

I imported my MGB from Canada a few years ago. Used a trucking company that specialized in cross-border transport. They handled all the paperwork, and the car arrived at my house with all the necessary paperwork for the local DMV. It was a smooth process, but certainly more expensive than finding a car here in the States.

I was looking for something very specific (a RHD MGB) so had to cast a wider net. With the extra work and cost, I'd recommend avoiding it if you can find what you want more locally. That said, I love my MGB and I know Nial really liked his 7 clone, so it can be done.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As many of you know kit car and replica cars are a cottage industry in the UK. Right now there are over 100 such manufacturers of which 6 to 8 specialize in Lotus 7 clones. I have stumbled on a 1993 factory built replica which has very low mileage and which would be considered a "barn find" in this country due to being parked 10 years ago for a mechanical problem. I have driven right handers in the past so that would not be a big deal either way.

Surprisingly that company is still in business so that particular kit must have been one of the better ones. The price of the car is right and the repairs APPEAR to be reasonable, as it is a '93, by the time I have it sorted out it will have passed the 25 year limitation so from that point of view it's a GO. Here in Mass it would be exempt from smog check so that would not be a roadblock either.

Unfortunately the seller is as ignorant of the logistics on getting the car to the USA as I am so it will probably not happen. Due in part to the holiday I have not been able to find anyone with knowledge on this subject willing to share. So without a starting point there will unlikely be a happy ending.

Just as an aside, a few years ago I found a UK kit maker who developed a Bugeye sprite look alike to be built on a MINI chassis ! Front wheel drive and all.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've given up on bringing in a Lotus 7 clone. Weather a built car or kit, either new or old, there is just too much red tape to fight over especially as you never know the results until it's possibly too late. Between the straight forward import regulations and the ever changing needs of the EPA it doesn't make sense to continue banging my head against the wall. Once in the country more or less legally, I THINK I could get it registered and inspected here in Ma. but the risk is not worth the aggravation. Bob