• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Latest - AH 3000 steering box lubrication

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
up-date - AH 3000 steering box lubrication

Just a quick update on my leaking steering box, which was in fact leaking quite badly, and after having tried a number of lubricants. The John Deere Corn Head grease works well, and is designed specifically for this type of application, for the most part on farm vehicle steering boxes. One of my local countrymen, Healey Nut, suggested this and so with nothing to lose I bought a couple of tubes, popped one in the grease gun and filled the box up, taking care to move the steering wheel back and forth to ensure that the grease was loading well. It took the better part of one standard tube, and the results thus far have been very good. No leaks to speak of. My understanding is that the corn head grease doesn't "mix" well if your box still has oil in it.

Anyhow, just passing along my experience. Was not looking forward to taking that grille out again....

DB

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: up-date - AH 3000 steering box lubrication

Just a quick update on my leaking steering box, which was in fact leaking quite badly, and after having tried a number of lubricants. The John Deere Corn Head grease works well, and is designed specifically for this type of application, for the most part on farm vehicle steering boxes. One of my local countrymen, Healey Nut, suggested this and so with nothing to lose I bought a couple of tubes, popped one in the grease gun and filled the box up, taking care to move the steering wheel back and forth to ensure that the grease was loading well. It took the better part of one standard tube, and the results thus far have been very good. No leaks to speak of. My understanding is that the corn head grease doesn't "mix" well if your box still has oil in it.

Anyhow, just passing along my experience. Was not looking forward to taking that grille out again....

DB

Glad it worked out . Corn head grease is the way to go in our steering boxes .

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Some vintage steering box lube good too, found my steering box and idler nearly dry over a year ago not leaked a drop since filling with Penrite s/box lube.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I'll go with the Penrite too. Did the job on my box 3 years ago and apart from the column/box connection 'working' and grease can be seen at the joint-- can't figure that out, I have no problems with it, certainly not at the bottom any way.

:cheers:

Bob

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

The corn head grease is strange stuff - not liquid and not solid, but some of each. The main problem with it has to do with getting enough of it into the steering box. I used a grease gun and one of those pointy needle attachments on the grease gun. Moving the steering wheel back and forth helped the grease to settle, allowing for adding more grease. It also likely would be a good idea to check the grease level after some use.