• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Super moon

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just hauled the camera out to snap the super moon

super moon-23383 copy.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Unbelievably bright here as well - though when I saw your post title, I naturally assumed Superman tore his tights!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Beauty, Basil.

We were overcast... durnit!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Beauty, Basil.

We were overcast... durnit!

Thanks. I used ISO 100 (since it's so bright there's no need to go sensitive) and I shot it in manual mode at f8 since that seems to be the "sweet spot" WRT sharpness on my Sigma 150-600. I made 4 or 5 shots at different shutter speeds using a 2 sec timer to prevent shake. I think this was around 1/200th sec. It's hard to tell what is "correct" exposure for something as bright as the moon, so I just tried to get a shot that wasn't too dark nor too bright.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'll surely miss it as it's gone back to cloudy/rainy here. I won't, however, miss the total solar eclipse on August 21st (as I'll go to eastern Oregon if I have to).

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
great shot!

It's crazy how bright the moon is. Never thought about it or never really occurred to me how bright it actually is until i tried taking pictures of it...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Sun's Reflectasol!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Received this amusing astronomical troll:
moon troll.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Somehow, "super moon" reminds me of something we used to do back in college ...

:angel:

Yeah, me too - the older I get the better I was :rolleyes:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I saw this somewhere (FB?) and never figured out how it was done. LOL

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Good one. Humor is nourishment for the soul.

Great photo. I took some with my cell phone. You can stop laughing now, I did.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
The Sun's Reflectasol!

Reminds me of a song by my favorite band The Tragically Hip, "Morning Moon"

The sun's a light bulb and the moon is a mirror
There are times when you can see both the bulb and the mirror
See the bulb in a mirror and that's a morning moon, yeah
Say those little things that don't make anyone feel better, yeah

The name of the band has a bit of irony to it... they've been using that moniker since the 80s and it was announced this year the lead singer was diagnosed w/ inoperable brain cancer. They just finished their last tour together a month or two ago. They were definitely hip in Canada; never managed to make a big break into the US market though. Too many hockey songs I reckon. God speed Gordie...