• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Respray

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
By popular demand (okay, one forum member asked) here is a look at my recent respray of the TR3A.

By way of background, at a car show in April a rogue wind kicked up and sent a shade tent flying across a ball field finally raking along the front of 3 Triumphs: mine, another TR3A (also a forum member) and an Italia. Fortunately the (corporate) owner of the tent was adequately insured and a settlement was reached. The sum I received was for straightening the grille and repairing and repainting the apron and right front wing - but of course if I did just that then the rest of the car would look that much worse by comparison - so I ponied up the difference to have the whole car painted.

The car had been stripped to bare metal in 2000 and painted with a base/clear. That paint was still very glossy but cracks had appeared around some holes and other areas that get stressed.

Here the guys gouge and explore flaws to see what lies beneath:

Respray%200%20Mark-up_zpsqrqx0ozl.jpg

With yellow paint pen noting all the key areas to be addressed - we prepare to leave the TR and be patient while the work is done:

Respray%200%20Yellow%20Pen_zpsvxqcr9za.jpg

Since the rest of the paint was sound, only the problem areas were addressed:

Respray%201%20Prep_zpsobpmgfgp.jpg

The body man says products have improved in the past 16 years and what he used on those areas will not get as brittle as what was used before. Anyway, his guarantee is 5 years on the paint and lifetime on the body work - it is a large operation with 3 generations around the place so I expect they will be there to back it up if need be.

Yeah - not much to look at in primer - but I always enjoy seeing a car at this point:

Respray%202%20Primer_zpswisea5ao.jpg

I got to do all the reassembly (helped keep the cost of my share reasonable) and I took advantage of the opportunity (on the lift, front wheels off) to renew the bushings on the tie rod with Delrin - took a lot of slop out of the steering. First ride (always my first ride after major work) was up Mt Lemmon:

Respray%203%20Bear%20Wallow_zpsdefgussm.jpg

Put the windscreen on so I could take a passenger - shot this while visiting a friend after spending the morning at a new car museum just opened in Tucson:

Respray%204%20Jos_zpsgfavvp1l.jpg

My hat's off to the guys who do their own paint. I've actually painted this TR twice myself when I was much younger and thriftier - but no way I have the skills or patience to get this sort of result.

Someone will ask (and who can blame them?) how much this cost. It was $4800 all-in. I like the shop I use (they also did my E-Type) not only because I like the results but because they spend a lot of time with the car before they tell you what it will cost -- and that is the price when the work is complete - no phone calls for more work and more money.

Now it's time to drive.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Looks like a Beautiful paint job.
i noticed you have white rims going in & chrome wires coming out......now that is a verrrrry nice paint job.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Btw:
Did you remove all the wings to remove the chrome beading? And then re assemble for painting; only to remove the Fenders again to re attach the beading? And re assemble once again?
also, had you riveted the beading in place? Or were the tabs just folded?

that is a lot of work!

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The disk wheels were on there for the work as overspray (though there was none) would be a bother to clean off of wires.

I have always been able to sneak the beading out by just loosening the wings where I could. Obviously that means they are just bent over inside, not riveted.

The holes in inner lip on the big stone guard are slotted so I can fit them w/o removing the wing bolts. The lip is also ground to (sort of) a knife edge to make it easier to insert.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Beautiful car Geo!

Cheers
Tush

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
That's a fine looking car, Geo! A beauty.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Looks great, Geo!

Out of curiosity - maybe I overlooked it - is the respray single stage or base/clear paint?

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It is a base/clear. Not sure what other areas of the country experience but locally it is hard to find anyone to do a quality single stage these days. Also none to easy to find a shop willing to touch older cars.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
Great looking car.

I hate those flying tents and don't believe they should be allowed at car shows unless they are held down with multiple ropes anchored to large concrete blocks.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That is a happy-looking TR3!

Italia 227

Freshman Member
Country flag
Do you know which / whose Italia was damaged ?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It looked good in (primer) grey as well. Since my color is so light, I had to prime it again with white before color.

That is a great looking car. Nice color too. I think it was red before, but how did you pick red?