• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Right Hand Drive conversion

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have just bought a 1971 TR6 from the USA and will need to do a conversion from the left side.
Has anyone got any useful hints on do's and dont's?
Any suggestions apreciated

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Roger Williams book "How to Restore Triumph TR5/TR250 & TR6" has a whole section (7 pages) devoted to converting a left hand drive TR6 to right hand drive. It was published by Veloce Publishing in Dorchester, England. Mine was reprinted in 2002 and 2003. It is a lot of work!!! Good luck!
Regards, Bob

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Simmo......I have converted a TR4...fairly simple compared to other cars...hardest part was finding a RHD dash frame and steering rack.

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Given that the cars were made for both LHD and RHD markets the conversion is relatively straight forward. For example, there is a pressing on both sides of the car on the firewall where the steering column goes through.
You can use the LHD pedal box and the brake cylinder but as Malbaby found, you need to mount the clutch cylinder on top of the pedal box, not on the front where it causes clearance problems with the carburettors. You will also need to modify the clutch pedal (or find a RHD one) and run new brake lines. A good panel beater should be able to help with the panel work needs to mount the pedal box and clean up the holes on the left hand side. You will also need a new accelerator linkage.

As Triumph used common parts on so many cars, you should be able to source a steering rack. I vaguely recall that you can use a Triumph 2000 one but you need to use the correct length tie rods. Alternatively, Revington is selling brand new racks. By the time you get an old one rebuilt, that may be a better option.

I made a template out of ply to mark identically around the glovebox and the instrument mountings on the dash panel. I then cut them out with a jigsaw and had a friend weld them into place on the opposite sides. You need to make sure that the cut out picks up the steering column mounting bolts under the instruments. The welding needs to be strong but not pretty as it is hidden by the wooden dash. Unfortunately, you will need a new wooden dash.

If you are not already a member of a Triumph club, it might be a good time to join. You never know what people have hidden away in their sheds! Good luck.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
5 Wanted Wanted Parts to convert BN2 from left hand drive to right hand drive Austin Healey Classifieds 0
B For Sale Brand New Black Tonneau Cover for BN4 and BT7 - for Right Hand Drive Car Austin Healey Classifieds 0
C Left to right hand drive Austin Healey 2
5 Wanted Wanted Parts to convert BN2 from left hand drive to right hand drive Austin Healey Classifieds 1
Simmo TR6 Right Hand Drive Conversion Help Triumph 3
B BN2 First right hand drive model car number 16 Austin Healey 4
B TR6 Right Hand Drive????? Triumph 8
Jer "banning" of right hand drive cars being discussed in this province... Spridgets 12
S Right Hand Drive Spridgets 7
M Right Hand Drive cable routing Spridgets 11
B TR2/3/3A TR3. Would you put it back to right hand drive? Triumph 11
PAUL161 MGB-GT Right Hand Drive Conversion--MG-GT MG 12
GBRandy TR2/3/3A TR2 Right hand Drive Dash Triumph 31
Gray_Cat MGC 68 Right Hand Drive MGC MG 9
5 100-4 Right hand drive parts Austin Healey 6
JimmyG Spitfire 1963 Right Hand Drive Spit Triumph 5
I right hand drive input Spridgets 9
J Wiper arm box - mk1 right hand drive sprite Spridgets 0
Sherlock Right-hand-drive popular again? Other Cars 37
S Wanted Source for 100 6 right hand remote control door regulator Austin Healey Classifieds 1
B Right hand side rear hub nut Austin Healey 3
J MGB Oil Pressure Gauge Gives Constant Reading -- Doesn't Seem Right MG 15
B MGB while driving engine cuts out if I let off or push more throttle it comes right back on MG 5
G Right-Side Shock Weeping Oil Austin Healey 1
C MGB Which Weber DGV is the right one. MG 14
P Jag XJ8 starts but then dies right away. Jaguar 4
Popeye General Tech O/D right angle drive choices Triumph 10
L Wanted right front turn signal 1975 TR6 Triumph Classifieds 2
BritBite Speedometer Right Angle Drive Austin Healey 5
drooartz General MG Surprisingly enough, I was right! MG 7
A SOLD!! TR3A Girling Type A brake caliper for right front Triumph Classifieds 0
C TR2/3/3A Right oil Triumph 8
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Right Front Suspension Damage Repair? Triumph 50
TRclassic3 TR2/3/3A Body leans to right side Triumph 10
red57 Steering not right Austin Healey 66
dougie Big Healey Six - Used the Right Way Austin Healey 5
John Turney The Panhard Rod is Supposed to be Straight, Right? Austin Healey 7
Bayless What are symptoms of steering rack not shimmed right? Spridgets 14
T For Sale GT6 Mark II Right Front Fender - NOS Triumph Classifieds 0
T Wanted 1960 Jaguar MK2 front door wood trim, both right and left. Jaguar Classifieds 0
T TR6 grinding right rear wheel Triumph 22
Rut TR4/4A Nice project for the right person Triumph 0
JPSmit Fuek Tank Sender - does this seem right to you? Spridgets 3
D BJ8 pulls right on hard braking? Austin Healey 4
Jim_Gruber 13" Tires - What's out there right now Spridgets 21
Popeye TR4/4A Seats - left/right Triumph 8
TomMull Post-War Other Herald 13/60: I didn't get the battery tray quite right Triumph 4
J BJ8 Vacuum Advance - disconnected -RIGHT - when setting total advance?? Austin Healey 6
T TR4/4A This head gasket doesn't look right to me - cooling passanges partially blocked? Triumph 18
Zimmycobra TR4/4A Who's right - float height on ZS 175CD? Triumph 5