• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Wire Wheels

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm toying with the idea of putting wire wheels on my '58 TR3a. I have a set of 72 spoke wires off of a TR6 which are in VG condition. I also have 5/16" spacers which I hope will preclude the need to cut the wheel lugs. Will this combination work? Anyone done this? Any reason why I should not do this?

If the idea passes all the above tests, what size tires should I use? I think the wheels may be tubeless capable but I'll have to get that verified. I am currently running 165SR15 tires on standard steel wheels but I think the TR6 rims may require a larger tire.

What are your thoughts on all of this?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Joe,

I believe the 72 spoke wires will look just fine. I plan on getting some wires for my 59 project....will be a first for me as I normally run alloys. For tire size, I would probably run 195/60/15's. Someone else can answer your lug questions. The other thing that you may need to consider is what you are going to do for a spare. You will most likely need to find an original wire wheel/165 tire to use as your spare in case need. If you do put them on, I'd love to see some pictures.

Cheers
Tush

OP
trglory

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Tush;

Yeah, I guess that I skipped over the question of a spare. I do have 5 wire wheels from the TR6, but that definitely won't fit in the TR3 wheel well. Wonder if a TR3 wheel will fit on the TR6 spline? My spare may have to be my AAA card!

Country flag
Joe,
you might need a little thicker spacer. Just put one and try. You will need the 48 spoke wire for spare. It will fit the adapter the same. If you do have a flat, the 72 spoke wheel will have to ride home with you inside behind the seats.
Marv

OP
trglory

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Marv;

As part of my homework, I talked to the folks at Moss and they told me that the wire wheel lugs are 5/16" shorter than the steel wheel lugs. Thanks for pointing out that the adapter is the same for both wire wheels, that's a plus. However, that AAA card is looking better by the minute; added bonus is that I gain some storage space. After I put the top, tonneau and side curtains in the trunk, there is no room left for luggage. Hmmmm, maybe I need to acquire a luggage rack too.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
You can also use one of your old steel wheels for a spare - that is what I do. You would mount it by removing the splined adaptor and spacer. It would look squirrelly and the diameter may differ a bit depending on what you use on the wires, but it would get you home.

TR250Guy

Freshman Member
Country flag
I believe the 72 spoke wheels are 6", I know that the Dayton Wire wheels are. The minimum recommended size would be 175. The ideal size is 185 or 195, and the max recommended would be 205. But if you are talking stock wire wheels I believe those were 5.5" in which case the sizes would be one size smaller.

OP
trglory

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That makes sense; carry the steel disk wheel and 4 larger lug nuts. OK, thanks. Unfortunately, still have to schlep the flat tire home in the "back seat".

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I'm toying with the idea of putting wire wheels on my '58 TR3a. I have a set of 72 spoke wires off of a TR6 which are in VG condition. I also have 5/16" spacers which I hope will preclude the need to cut the wheel lugs. Will this combination work? Anyone done this? Any reason why I should not do this?

If the idea passes all the above tests, what size tires should I use? I think the wheels may be tubeless capable but I'll have to get that verified. I am currently running 165SR15 tires on standard steel wheels but I think the TR6 rims may require a larger tire.

What are your thoughts on all of this?
Best money I ever spent was taking my wheels to Hendricks Wire Wheel in Greensboro. They micro balance them so that there is no more shimming at speed.

OP
trglory

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OK, that's the next puzzle I have to solve .... who can mount & balance these wheels. I never had wires before but I seem to remember reading that you need special equipment to do that job. I wonder if my local Harley shop is capable? There is a local tire store that advertises the ability to do on-car spin balancing; maybe I need to talk to them.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Joe,
I used a local tire store and took a copy of the Moss guide for mounting wire wheels on the balance machine. They pulled the old adapters out of the warehouse and mounted it correctly and the balance came out perfectly. Mounting tires should not be a problem and I really like spin balance on the car. Do you have the wheel bands and new inner tubes?
Rut

OP
trglory

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Rut;

I don't have any of the rubber parts yet for this project, just the metal parts. I did notice, though, that the wheels have a very tight rubber band around the inside of the hub. Is that the wheel band?

You gave me some more homework to do; research the Moss guides. Thanks.

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Rut;

I don't have any of the rubber parts yet for this project, just the metal parts. I did notice, though, that the wheels have a very tight rubber band around the inside of the hub. Is that the wheel band?

I recall that the rubber band is there to prevent the spoke heads chafing on the inner tube. I had spoked wheels on the 3A way back when. I had them rebuilt with 5" rims and they did not return the rubber bands. I used electrical tape instead. I had tubeless tires with tubes in them. I had a puncture on one occasion which holed the tube but the tape had sealed the wheel well enough that the tubeless tire did not go down for quite a while. Not necessarily recommended though.

By the way, if you want to keep your gearing about right, you will need 195/65-15 tires not 60s.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut;

Joe,
I used 10 mil underground pipe wrap on my MGB and it works great...got the idea from a wire wheel shop, but if your wheel bands are in good shape reuse them. Buy good inner tubes, Michelin is what I used and it will last a good long time. Also remove and sticker or labels from inside the tire and use talc to keep it from chaffing.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
trglory

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I went over to the shed and checked the wheels, they are 5 1/2" rims so they probably are OEM and should work well with the 5/16" spacers. If I follow the conversation correctly, 195 is the largest I can use. Checked Tire Rack for 195/65-15 and found 81 tires to choose from .... life is good! I found the Moss Motors guide for mounting wire wheels and printed it out. If the tire store guys tell me what I want to hear about mounting & balancing, this project should be a GO! I'll keep you all posted.