• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Rimmer interior

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Good morning all! I'm looking at the leather seat covers, seat cushions, and interior kit from Rimmer since they are on sale, but I've never purchased from them. Any experiences regarding quality of these parts? The prices are good, but my main concern is fit and finish...I'm going back with the original black with white piping per my heritage certificate.
Thanks, Rut

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I didn't buy those from Rimmer, but I have bought lots of other stuff from them. Watch out for shipping charges, they only ship airmail and it can cost more than the parts! I've also gotten dinged with a $50 "customs broker" charge after the fact.

I bought a bunch of Stag stuff from them when they had a "free shipping" sale; and fully half of it didn't fit properly. The boot boards were useless, except perhaps as patterns to make my own.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I didn't buy those from Rimmer, but I have bought lots of other stuff from them. Watch out for shipping charges, they only ship airmail and it can cost more than the parts! I've also gotten dinged with a $50 "customs broker" charge after the fact.

I bought a bunch of Stag stuff from them when they had a "free shipping" sale; and fully half of it didn't fit properly. The boot boards were useless, except perhaps as patterns to make my own.

Thanks Randall...the shipping charge once I move everything to checkout is £51 which seems reasonable to me.
Rut

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I got carpets and a couple of individual trim panels from Newton Commercial last spring when the exchange rate was more favorable. Generally pleased and shipping costs were not outrageous. Supplying the individual panels sold me on Newton but I also have bought quite a bit from Rimmer. Pleased with them also. In both cases have had shipping quote prior to purchase. No issues.
Tom

Country flag
Rut,
I have a full interior kit coming for the BJ8 from John Skinner in the UK. He is susppose to be one of the best. Price was a lot better than Moss or VicBrit
Marv

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks again! Marv, I'll check them out.
Rut

Last edited:

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Rut, I bought a complete trim kit for my TR6 from John Skinner. It is all custom and includes everything windscreen trim, dash pad top and other pads, console, carpets, panels, boot kit, leather faced seats, foams, and all the other bits and bobs.
I don't have a lot of it together yet but what is looks great and the parts waiting look good. I was a bit put off when the kit took a few weeks longer than expected for delivery but after unpacking it I became much more understanding. The depth of the carpet pyle was initially disturbing (mostly because of the experience with the Midget carpet) but as John explained it is more about the density. Seeing the carpet when it arrived proved that to be true. Shipping was very reasonable. One more thing, I found John to be great to work with especially with the custom colors and other things I wanted. Without giving out a name I explained what happened with the vendor I used for my Midget. He could not believe what happened and assured nothing like that would ever happen with him.
You might remember the less than stellar experience with the kit from another company for my Midget carpets.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've sent an enquirey to John Skinner, but I did not include the carpets and I might request that as well. Tom, did you get the Wilton wool pile carpet set? The 67 4a will be a restoration and the 66 4a will be a restomod sitting on top of a TR6 frame, but I havent decided on the drivetrain...possibly an M3 5 or 6 speed (pre turbo) if it will fit.
Rut

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The original carpets on my car were wool. The new molded carpets are synthetic. I was unaware of ant wool option.
Tom

tomshobby

Yoda
I've sent an enquirey to John Skinner, but I did not include the carpets and I might request that as well. Tom, did you get the Wilton wool pile carpet set? The 67 4a will be a restoration and the 66 4a will be a restomod sitting on top of a TR6 frame, but I havent decided on the drivetrain...possibly an M3 5 or 6 speed (pre turbo) if it will fit.
Rut

Rut, I got the wool carpets. After the money I have spent I didn't want to go cheap there.
I have this fantasy for one of these for a power plant. https://www.h1v8.com/30-bolt-v8.html

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
That's pretty cool Tom.

Cheers
Tush

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut, I got the wool carpets. After the money I have spent I didn't want to go cheap there.
I have this fantasy for one of these for a power plant. https://www.h1v8.com/30-bolt-v8.html

Tom,
Tell me about the wool...was it worth the cost? I love those engines, but I don't think they will fit my budget! I'm sitting here looking over my to do list for 2 TR4as and can't believe I started 2 projects at the same time! The 2nd car will be the restomod and if I have any brains at all I'll push it in the corner and work solely on the first car. I always keep an eye out for deals so I can take advantage of sales, deals, location, or something that will help me and the M3 drivetrain has my juices flowing!
Rut

tomshobby

Yoda
I really like the look of the wool as well as the feel of it. The nylon is nice but doesn't look as plush and it has a more course feel. But that is just my opinion. I put nylon in the Midget and still feel it is more correct for the character of the car. But the wool seems more correct for the TR6.
I agree the cost of those engines is a bit over the top but I can dream! If it would be possible I would like to use a multi disk clutch and a 6 speed gear box.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
OK guys, I received my quote from John Skinner and it includes a full interior panel trim kit, sun visors, leather gaiter, leather seat covers, all attaching hardware for seats and panels, new seat foams, boot trim kit, windshield trim kit (OK, everything except the crash pads on interior), wool carpet, carpet padding, boot carpet, and a few miscellaneous items...all done in the original black with white piping (I'm boring) per the Heritage certificate. With the current 1.27 exchange rate it ended up being $1997.02 to my door. Panel kit, leather seats, and seat foam kit without shipping from Rimmer (on sale) was $1297.00 so they are pretty comparable. Things to note...I like Rimmers website ok and prefer it over Skinners since you have to wait a day on a quote, but once you receive Skinners quote with the ability to add and delete options it's really nice. Each item available for your quote has a tick box, multiple pictures, good description, and pricing. The options are good and it denotes original or non original based on Piggots book and other quoted sources. Now that I'm finished chasing interiors what do y'all think?
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Tom, I did not...there are people on this and other forums that I know and I trust their opinion, no BS. Quite frankly I've been pretty happy with most suppliers quality and if I have an issue they all make it right...guess I'm lucky!
Rut