• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Mazda Wheels

mcmillal

Hi,

Is anyone running those older, 1990ish, Mazda Miata wheels on their TR4? I think they're 14x5.5 and was wondering if they will fit and look.

..........Alex

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Check carefully before you try it. ISTR the Miata wheels have a metric bolt circle that is almost, but not quite, the same.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The early Miata wheels have a 4x100 bolt pattern and the TRs have a 4x114 (4.5") bolt pattern.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The bolt pattern is pretty common with imports from the 90s and such, but most wheels don't have the right offset. I suppose you could, but I probably wouldn't put 14" wheels on a TR built for 15s. Your tire diameter will be too small, and the wheel itself might interfere with suspensio components with the smaller diameter on the inner lip of the wheel.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
There are 15" Miata wheels that also have the 4-bolt pattern, but that doesn't solve potential offset problems or hub-clearance issues in trying to use them on a TR.
Just out of perversity, there are also Miata-people who have looked into putting knock-off Dunlop-style wire wheels on an MX-5.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There are 15" Miata wheels that also have the 4-bolt pattern, but that doesn't solve potential offset problems or hub-clearance issues in trying to use them on a TR.
Just out of perversity, there are also Miata-people who have looked into putting knock-off Dunlop-style wire wheels on an MX-5.

The 15" NA and NB generation Miata wheel still has that 4 x 100 bolt pattern, the NC went to a 5 bolt pattern while the ND returned back to the 4 x 100. If you want to talk using Mazda wheels, you need to think in terms of some different models such as the RX-7 and even then you have to be careful. The earliest FA and some FB model RX-7s used a 4 x 110 bolt pattern wheel, while later FBs used the same 4 x 114 as the the TR series. That 4mm is just enough to mess you up. It'll look right if you don't check, but that 4mm will keep early Rx-7 wheels from being readily used on a TR. You might also think in terms of looking at Datsun/Nissan 240Z/260Z/280Z/280ZX wheels as they share the same bolt pattern as the TRs. I've long thought that if you can find them, a set of wheels from a 1981 280ZX Turbo would look rather sharp on a TR, but then it may just be me.