• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Picklex20

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Has anyone ever used Picklex20. I have been trying to strip and repair the whole front of my Bugeye tub and get it in epoxy primer before the weather gets too cold. I'm not sure if I will make my deadline.

I dont want to leave all that exposed metal over the winter and I had heard of Picklex20 but never used it. If it is worth it I will just keep on with stripping and body work use the Picklex20 and then prime it in the spring.

Thanks Ernie

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I hadn't heard of Picklex20 until reading your post above. After doing a little research on the stuff, I'm going to try it. Thanks for asking the question!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mark (Abarth69) uses it. My multipla has had exposed metal for years and, so far as I know all it has been treated with is WD40 - leaves a sort of shellac

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
If you want to have a perfect base to build from? Take bonnet to a professional sand blaster, use fine grain sand. After, DA with 180 grit, clean with Transtar Acry Solvent! Note, when cleaning wipe surface until their is no gray residue in wipe towel!!! Then apply your epoxy. You'll have the best base to build on from their, the process is quick.

Last edited:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have. Not worth the price of admission in my opinion. It's very expensive and didn't give me any better (or as good) results as phosphoric acid. Evapo-Rust does a great job of removing rust, though it takes longer to work. Great for items you can soak for an extended period of time because it does not eat the good metal and leaves a nice clean surface. Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide into ferric phosphate. The black coating will provide moderate rust protection for an extended period of time.

OP
Rhodyspit75

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'm not really dealing with rust in this case. I want to be able to store a lot of bare metal in my garage over the winter. Will phosphoric acid allow me to do that without surface rust forming. Plcklex20 claims it will. I agree it is expensive.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've been using a product called After Blast from Eastwood to preserve my sheet metal prior to priming and it does a good job. Most of the phosphoric acid based products will protect the metal if they are rated as a primer (small print) and you handle everything with gloves. The good news is that they remove surface rust really well prior to using a cleaner like AcrySol or laquer thinner before epoxy priming. I'm new to this preservation of sheet metal stuff, but so far it's working well and I have a body shop owner looking over my shoulder checking my work. I can't wait to shoot some epoxy primer and learn that step.
HTH, Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, if you want to try it, I'll sell you my mostly full 32 oz jug at a savings.

I'm not really dealing with rust in this case. I want to be able to store a lot of bare metal in my garage over the winter. Will phosphoric acid allow me to do that without surface rust forming. Plcklex20 claims it will. I agree it is expensive.

OP
Rhodyspit75

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the offer Gerard but if you still have most of it I doubt I want to use it either.