Thread: Chassis front 'H-section' Mk1

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chassis front 'H-section' Mk1

I am looking at replacing the front chassis frame on my Mk1 - sometimes referred to as the H-section. I notice that Moss parts don't list one for the Mk1.
    Is availability of replacements this section a problem then?

Is there any interchangeability with this and the later "(c) H-AN6 to (c) H-AN8, (c) G-AN1 to (c) G-AN3, 948cc-1098cc" version they list?

Presumably any of these come with the angle already in place for the longitudinal rails for achieving the correct caster angle?

Cheers
    '60 Mk1 Frogeye
    '64 Mk2A Sprite
    '93 Mazda MX5

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Chassis front 'H-section' Mk1

I am just going out on a limb here but the differences between the MkI and MKII Sprites is so little that it should work very well. Granted there WILL be a few holes in the wrong places but the major metal will be in the correct locations
    BillM
    '69 Sprite Mk IV
    '60 MGA
    '65 Midget

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Try AH Spares in Jolly Olde England, specifically https://www.ahspares.co.uk/sprite/In...s/default.aspx as it looks like they list all the bits and pieces you might need. If you pull together an order, you can ask for the shipping costs before completing so that you're not surprised.
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

"Hobart Australia"?
    You might also want to ask AH Spares for a guesstimate for shipping time - here in the Senior Colony I've had stuff show up within a week, and the occasional order taking up to six weeks.
    Also check with KAS Kilmartin Panels in Oz - see https://www.kas-kilmartin.com.au/KAS...scriptions.htm as it looks like they've got a pile of bits and pieces available.
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys.

AHSpares were on my list of likelies. I couldn't immediately see the complete H-section as a unit with them, but they do appear to have all of the relevant bits. Again the Mk1 and Mk2-3 listed separately for the rails - underlining your point Billm.

Do you reckon if supplied separately the rails would come 'pre-angled'? It strikes me as perhaps the fiddliest aspect of the replacement if you have to do yourself/have it done.

Kilmartins were also on the list - I haven't spoken to them yet but they do look a 'highly possible' to be able to supply the complete unit.
    '60 Mk1 Frogeye
    '64 Mk2A Sprite
    '93 Mazda MX5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Try Tony Benetto at the Bugeye Barn: https://www.bugeyebarn.com/html/s01_...ome.asp?dsb=16 If he doesn't stock the part new, he may be able to source a used one.
    Rick