• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A British Car Forum and The Triumph Experience?

jdavis

Country flag
Ok, so the last couple of posts I cut/pasted to the other forum as well. Is "double posting" appropriate? Do you think I will get more responses this way, or should I strike a singular allegiance with only one or the other? I want to create friendships and not cause offense. Any opinions about this? Don't hold back
Joe

OP
J

jdavis

Country flag
THanks so much for the advice. I just ordered about 2K worth of parts from multiple vendors. I hope to start building the engine in the next month or so. I'll need lots of advice. I'll be posting pics along the way
Joe

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Don't sweat the double posts. No reason not to take advantage of forums, and don't just stop at two of them. I ask questions and provide questionable advice on several!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Funny thing is, for years this one was the bomb. Of late the "other" forum seems to have more steam than this one. You'll get answers from either. I get dizzy when I see double posts and try to follow what's been said on both sites...so I usually avoid both posts when that happens...but that's just me

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm with John, I find it somewhat annoying and confusing to answer a question on one forum and then not see my answer when I read the other forum (without remembering which forum I just posted an answer on). I'm never quite certain if my response got lost or what.

There are actually more than two, but I believe Joe is referring to The Triumph Experience
https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/list.php?6

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Joe,
I cut and paste as well and because some people are common to all 3 it can get confusing, but it is nice to read different opinions. The value of these forums to those of us who need all the help we can get is immeasurable! In fact I'm guessing that a lot of us might not take on the jobs we do if it were not for these forums. I can follow a manual relatively well, but the suggestions regarding what does and doesn't work discussed here sure make life easier!
Rut

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm with John, I find it somewhat annoying and confusing to answer a question on one forum and then not see my answer when I read the other forum (without remembering which forum I just posted an answer on). I'm never quite certain if my response got lost or what.

There are actually more than two, but I believe Joe is referring to The Triumph Experience
https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/list.php?6

Yes, there might someday be that ideal world where there is but one forum...or just one pertinent and relative Facebook group, or .... ;)

Marla

I am active in both forums and do ask kinda the same questions on both if I need help...I check every day on the forums because something interesting always pops up...I also believe that if you want to sing the blues you have got to pay your dues so I am supporting both the forums as a premium member...I also belong to a Mopar forum because we own a 1975 Plymouth Scamp...Marla

DSCF5867.jpg

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was pretty active here for years, actually got my free rust-free Spitfire from a guy on here. But there is more Spitfire activity on The Triumph Experience, so I spend more time over there now. Its a shame, because I missed the great deal on the TR-3 in Raleigh several months back. I typically don't post the same question on both sites, but rarely start threads on either anyway.

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I sometimes double post the same question on the Healey forum here at BCF. Many of the issues are identical, and some of the parts are interchangable. Plus, I also have a Healey.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have been active on various parts of this list and the autox.team.net email forums for quite a while, don't know much about the Triumph Experience. It may just be my perception but it seems like activity level regarding fixing, restoring and modifying old British sports cars, at least as reflected by the forum and list activity, has gone down the last five years or so. Maybe a reflection of the advancing age and lower level of activity of the owners? I know at 55 I am definitely one of the youngest guys in my local British car club.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't see any problem in double dipping. I've done it myself too and recognize many of us on the T Experience. Found that I get quicker responses on my questions about my TR7. I do have to admit I prefer the simplicity of this forum and probably why I spend 98% of my time here.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Two comments:

1. The BCF format is way way way better than the other one. I read, occasionally, the other forum but rarely post. I think I've posted once, maybe?

2. I think the reduction in posts is partly because there is more information available by searching. I am starting my gauge restoration (i.e. take off the glass, clean and re-assemble; nothing major). I have found everything I need to know on BCF through a search (I use google). I am usually the young guy in the car club - and I'm not that young. It seems most folks wait until post-children to engage in expensive hobbies (time, money and space). I would be curious how the site traffic has varied over the years - vs. the posting count.

In a nutshell: thank you Basil.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
1. The BCF format is way way way better than the other one.

I'm just curious : What do you find so much better about the BCF format? For me and the way I use them, both seem about the same, both with good and bad points.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I'm just curious : What do you find so much better about the BCF format? For me and the way I use them, both seem about the same, both with good and bad points.

It is mainly the "readability" of BCF. Some of it is personal opinion: the font on BCF is better; I like the bright blue dividers between posts and the overall color scheme; I find the reply buttons are easier to see. Perhaps this is my bias b/c I have been reading this forum since 2006(?), and others only this year after getting back into restoring my Triumph. IMO, the BCF interface is hands-down better than Triumph Experience and the TR Register - both sources of great information, no doubt.

I also like that BCF has one Triumph forum; it is not subdivided into models. As such it is much faster to get information, as many models share technology.

And there are a lot fewer advertisements on BCF - practically none (as with TR Register). I find ads between posts in a conversation distracting (especially if they are blinky). And finally, the ads tax my computer and makes pages slower to read. (Perhaps the last piece is simply the age of my hardware... not only my car is vintage, my PC is going on 4 years old.)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

FWIW I'd never even seen the ads between posts, my ad-blocker takes them out nicely. Had to disable it to even see them :smile: