• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Randall...Re: tire pressures

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
In one of your posts you mentioned that the tire pressure in your rear tires is 34psi. I am running 195/65 tires and have always run 30 front and 30 rear. In terms of weight distribution and the particular handling of the TR3 would it be advantageous to increase the pressure in my rear tires? I

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Too many complicating factors for me to say, Karl. My suggestion is to try it (carefully) and see how it works for you.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...My suggestion is to try it (carefully) and see how it works for you.

That's how I got to what I like. The 'carefully' part (for me anyway) was that I had to throw the car into some tight corners to see what happened. You're starting with oversteer so the front to back pressures are a matter or whether you want more or less of that. Overall the pressures will affect the ride.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Funny, there's nothing in my manual about what pressure works best with modern tires. Not even a good definition of "best" :smile:

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Another factor to consider for front tire pressure is how it effects worm & peg steering.
I took Forum advice a year or two ago and started running my front tires at 33 psi.
to make steering easier at parking & slow speed.
FWIW: Allen Hendrix of Hendrix wire wheels, recommended 30 psi rear (I presume for better traction / bigger footprint) & 32-35 psi front on new
Vredstein Sport Classic 185x15 on TR3 with standard steering.
I have no complaints on how they handle.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Funny, there's nothing in my manual about what pressure works best with modern tires. Not even a good definition of "best" :smile:

Mine has an entire page of pressures, but I'll bite...how do modern tires affect the recommended pressures?

Sorry guys, but threads like this are both never ending and have no real answer, just a lot of opinions. Best tire, best pressure, best oil, etc. Jaguar is my favorite, as their manuals spell it out for you...if you want smooth ride and more comfort, use a lower pressure. If you want a firmer ride or plan to drive "spirited", use a higher pressure. So the best pressure would, therefore, depend on your style of driving.

As with spark plugs, learn to read wear patterns and figure out what your style requires.