• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Idle spring?

Marla

The 1964 Tr4 was idling a bit high so I looked at the screw to adjust and it did drop the idle but the return spring will not bring the metal to rest where it is suppose to...I circled in the photo... the nut etc...does anyone know how I can get this spring to rest against the bottom of the idle screw?...I tried to adjust the nut next to the spring but it will not go tight...maybe the nut is stripped?...right now with the return spring so far away from the metal bracket someone has to physically hold the part down so it rest on the idle screw because the car runs way too fast...anyway I hope the photo explains the problem and I am not babbling...Marla

Attachments

• DSCF6241.jpg
    DSCF6241.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 92

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Loosen the connection between the 2 carbs that joins the throttle shafts together... See if that allows the tip of idle speed screw to come to rest on the pad....That btw, is what you do when synchronizing the carbs...make them independent by loosening the throttle shaft coupling , adjust each individually until they 'balance' in sync, then reunite the throttle shafts.
The nut on the end throttle shaft has nothing to do with what you are trying to do.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:iagree:

Almost certainly the issue. Should clear it up.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree, except that nut is what holds the lever to the shaft. If the nut won't tighten to the shaft, you may have a problem there that needs to be addressed. Probably have to replace the throttle shaft, which is a fairly complicated operation.

OP
Marla

Marla

I agree, except that nut is what holds the lever to the shaft. If the nut won't tighten to the shaft, you may have a problem there that needs to be addressed. Probably have to replace the throttle shaft, which is a fairly complicated operation.

The nut does tighten to the shaft...so that is one headache out of the way...thank you...Marla

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My usual sequence is to loosen one nut/bolt on one of those 'accordion' connectors and then balance the air flow into the carbs and set the idle using one of the methods described in the manual. Center of photo (wrong car but same connector):

AC%20Air%20Filters_zpsnlzjs6rt.jpg

At that point the connector is tightened. Further (slight) idle adjustments can be made by turning the idle screws an equal amount (to keep things more or less in balance).

The balance is not a supper-critical adjustment IMO because there is a pretty large balance tube in the manifold connecting the front and rear halves. Also, I think the rear carb often lags the front carb as the throttle is opened up.

OP
Marla

Marla

Yowza...the advice one get's from this forum is priceless...did what was suggested and it went wonderfully...you guys rock!!!...Marla

Attachments

• DSCF6250.jpg
    DSCF6250.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 76