• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pet peeves - we all have them

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Recent thread about extreme loud music made me wonder what other pet peeves people may have. One of my pet peeves is when people at the supermarket don't return their shopping carts, but just leave them in the middle of a parking space. At most places that use carts, there are places where you can return the cart at different locations around the parking lot. Some people are too lazy to walk 20 feet and thoughtlessly just leave their cart in the adjacent parking space. Arrrrggg! :mad-new:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Pet peeves? My list is endless!

One at the top:

People with shopping carts that stop and block the the aisle to chat on their cellphones. "Honey - should I get the white rice or the brown rice? You know, for tomorrow. Tomorrow is your mom's birthday. She's coming over for dinner. You forgot? Aw, remember that nice sweater you gave her last year? No - the one with the red lines on it. Yep - that's the one. Did you call her today? I mean after you finished working in the garage. Aw, I think you should. "

grumble grumble

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
How about people who park next to you so close that you have to suck in your gut to get to your door.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drivers that pull into the EZ-Pass toll booth WITHOUT an E-Z Pass!
You end up stuck in the lane with no escape while waiting for a police officer to collect the info from the irresponsible driver.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
People who start to pass in interstate, then stop right in your blind spot and stay there forever!

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Talking on cell phone at checkout counter while the attendant is trying to talk to them. Stopping a traffic light and pick up phone. The new ignorance. Running or walking in street when there are sidewalks. No lights on bikes at night. Bike riders double and triple side by side on two lane road. Double parking to let someone out of car then have to have a conversation. Ice cream/water ice standing in line while the mother/father read all the flavors while at the window for the child to decide. Why not read them while you are in line and not wait to get to counter to have the kid decide before you get in line? Better yet give him/her 2 or 3 choices period.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
And that's another thing - people who park right next to you when there are hundreds of empty spaces close by with no cars!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I work in a grocery store,& a few things are cell phone talkers-
some NEVER stop talking the whole time they're in the store.
- People who can't put stuff back where it goes - especially perishable items.
- Shopping carts - those are usually the ones who go ballistic when their
car gets dinged
- People who parking in handicapped designated spots
- Rude people - especially college students.

And then,there's the Harley riders who have overly loud exhausts
that have to keep revving them up at stoplights.
- Jacked up 4WD crew cab diesel pickups,whose drivers have to floor it
every time they take off from a stop.
- People who have the above trucks,that have no use for them,but have
to block the sidewalk,because they're too big to fit in their driveway.
- Chihuahuas - the people who live across the ally from me have THREE-
of them,& they bark every time that they're let out into the front yard,
& at anything that moves within 100 feet.
I talked to the owner,& she said that she "Couldn't do anything about it-
they bark".
The good thing is - vacation's only two days away!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
People who will take a nicely folded shirt or pair of pants off a table at Costco (or wherever) unfold it, put it up to their bodies to see if it looks like right size, then toss it back on the table unfolded. When I unfold something to see how it looks, or to see if I think it would fit, I always try to put it back as close to original as possible.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
People who slow down to hold the door for you, but they're in the way, you can't go thru the door till they MOVE!

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Kids riding bikes without helmets. Yes, I know we all grew up not wearing them, but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. As a kid, I ended up in the Emergency Room one time for a crash that would have been considerably mitigated if I had been wearing a helmet. I was in a ward with three other kids that crashed that day. I was the only one without a concussion, and one of the kids was projectile vomiting. That's a sound you don't forget. These days, I'd never consider getting on a bike without one.

Because helmet use under the age of 16 is a law, when I'm on duty as a volunteer with the local Park Police, I ask parents where their child's helmets are. I get some crazy excuses. Some of the best:

"Oh, it's still in the car" - Ok, so you made the effort to bring it with you, but not put it on?
"He says it's uncomfortable" -- Lady, have you ever had a concussion? That's a lot more uncomfortable than wearing a helmet.
"Oh, it's a law?" - no comment
"But he's on training wheels" -- Bikes on training wheels can fall over, too. Better to get good habits started early. My daughter knows she has to wear her "funny hat" any time she gets on a bike, because that's what we always did, from dragging her in a trailer to riding a tandem bike with me.
Or they have the helmet attached to the handlebars -- what good is that going to do?

But maybe the worst are the ones where the parents are wearing helmets and the kids aren't. Or one of the kids has a helmet and the other doesn't. "Oh, you must love this child more than the other..." Or when I see a couple going out for a ride and the boyfriend is wearing a helmet while the girlfriend isn't. I guess chivalry is dead.

That's my two cents for Pet Peeves

Country flag
50 mph in the passing lane FOR MILES

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
- Chihuahuas - the people who live across the ally from me have THREE-
of them,& they bark every time that they're let out into the front yard,
& at anything that moves within 100 feet....
Only three? The guy behind us had TWELVE! He couldn't figure out if you had a male and a female that soon there would be a bunch of puppies. They would go out in the back yard and bark - starting at 2AM for at least an hour, if not more.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh yeah, & IDIOTS who never turn off their driving lights!
I always felt that,if you use them,you turn them off whenever
there's oncoming traffic.

catfood

Jedi Knight
When announcing the winner of something on the TV. That looooooong pause......

catfood

Jedi Knight
riding bikes without helmets

I was in Italy many years ago and I was told that they had just passed a law requiring moped riders to wear helmets. Teenagers being too cool to wear them on their heads and noting that the law was not specific in saying where they should wear them all had very well protected elbows!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1. Manufactured Drama on reality and even home reno shows.

2. News reporting that just makes stuff up. (we just had a run of "We're going to have a terrible cold winter new items - based on the Farmer's Almanac. - They should have brought in the groundhog as an ":expert."

3. Lists of pet peeves. :devilgrin: (OK I made that one up)

4. Oh, and people who say "Uh huh" when you say thank you - what happened to you're welcome? and people who say "have a nice one." A nice what?