• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Now declassified

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A very good friend of mine (and a former boss) was the Flight Test Engineer on this bird and was aboard when the mishap at the end of the video occurred.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Amazing they could get that together in a couple weeks. Doesn't leave much time for R&D though.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That'll buff out.

Seriously now, are the flamethrowers for light? to blind potential enemies? to scorch the runway clean of debris? or enemies? or all of the above?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If they could have pulled it off it would have been the US version of The Raid on Entebbe.

Country flag
The whole rescue attempt was a mess. There was the later accident in the desert with the helicopters too. Only good thing to come out of it was the recognition that in the post Vietnam era that training and standards had slipped further than anyone was willing to admit and something needed to be done to correct it.

Wow. Iron Eagle with a BIG plane. Glad to hear nobody was hurt in the accident though.

Hahaha. I read most of the newsletters over the years. Good to be back. I wish it was on a computer... living in the sticks isn't tech savvy. Still no Internet out here. But they have done wonders with smart phones these days, apparently.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hahaha. I read most of the newsletters over the years. Good to be back. I wish it was on a computer... living in the sticks isn't tech savvy. Still no Internet out here. But they have done wonders with smart phones these days, apparently.

Smart Phones have come a long way that's for sure!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome back, Kenny!

...did you bring enuff coffee for everybody? :wink:

Got plenty. Thanks Doc!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I got exactly one ride in a C-130 with a JATO takeoff. Pretty scary compared to a "normal" C-130 rotation.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I got exactly one ride in a C-130 with a JATO takeoff. Pretty scary compared to a "normal" C-130 rotation.

I can only imagine. Been on many C-130s, but most exciting for me was t/o and landings on a gravel strip up at Cape Dyer on the arctic circle.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can only imagine. Been on many C-130s, but most exciting for me was t/o and landings on a gravel strip up at Cape Dyer on the arctic circle.

No thanks! A nice 5,000+ ft. runway and zero crosswind for me.