• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Squeak Squeak!

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
As I've gotten more experience driving Baby Blue, I've come to learn the myriad of sounds she makes and knowing what is a "good" sound and what is a "not so good" sound. Taking Jessica on a long drive yesterday, the car acquired a squeaking noise coming from the front end. It definitely was not motor related as the squeak was a function of ground speed, not engine speed, and it wasn't consistent.

Inspecting the car this evening, I found one relatively loose lug nut on the left front, and three of the others could use some tightening. So, I went around the car and checked and found a few others that had loosened up. I'm not sure if that was the source of the squeaking. The other thing I found is when I grab the front wheels, there is some lateral play. Not enough to be hugely significant (I think), but enough to be noticeable. Is a little bit of play normal? I'm thinking when I repacked the bearings last winter and put it all back together, I may have not cranked down the retaining bolt far enough before inserting the cotter pin.

I was hoping to make it to December before I reopened the front end to do a repack, but if this play is not normal, I'll have to work on it now.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I am inclined to think loose nuts. I did have an annoying squeak that proved to be the front brake dust shield touching the wheel.

OTOH tightening the front wheel nuts should be a ten minute job.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I thought about that after I posted -- just pull the cotter pin and crank the nut down. I can always wait until later to repack.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
After I've driven in the rain I get all sorts of front suspension squeaks that run their course. :wink-new:

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I popped open the hub on each side, moved the bolt a single flat further in, reset the cotter pins, no more rattling. I'll have to test drive it later to see if that cured the problem.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Still had the squeak today, but not quite as prevalent. I'm pretty sure it's a suspension component as it only squeaked over bumps. Maybe hit the grease zerks with a few shots from the grease gun. As we're getting later into the driving season, I'm sure the car is starting to need some routine maintenance again.

1974MGMidget

If it squeaks when you go over bumps, and you have an ARB with poly bushings, it could be the bushings need lubricating. Poly bushings can squeak like the dickens when dry. Well, maybe not that much, but I figured out that was where the squeak was coming from whenever I went slowly over a speed bump. Pulled the bushings off and smeared that super thick poly grease on it and it went away! Its an easy fix if that is what it is.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have poly bushings on the trunnions where they connect to the shock arms -- and the squeaking would be consistent with the location -- that makes sense.