Thread: Squeak Squeak!

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Squeak Squeak!

As I've gotten more experience driving Baby Blue, I've come to learn the myriad of sounds she makes and knowing what is a "good" sound and what is a "not so good" sound. Taking Jessica on a long drive yesterday, the car acquired a squeaking noise coming from the front end. It definitely was not motor related as the squeak was a function of ground speed, not engine speed, and it wasn't consistent.

Inspecting the car this evening, I found one relatively loose lug nut on the left front, and three of the others could use some tightening. So, I went around the car and checked and found a few others that had loosened up. I'm not sure if that was the source of the squeaking. The other thing I found is when I grab the front wheels, there is some lateral play. Not enough to be hugely significant (I think), but enough to be noticeable. Is a little bit of play normal? I'm thinking when I repacked the bearings last winter and put it all back together, I may have not cranked down the retaining bolt far enough before inserting the cotter pin.

I was hoping to make it to December before I reopened the front end to do a repack, but if this play is not normal, I'll have to work on it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Re: Squeak Squeak!

I am inclined to think loose nuts. I did have an annoying squeak that proved to be the front brake dust shield touching the wheel.

OTOH tightening the front wheel nuts should be a ten minute job.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I thought about that after I posted -- just pull the cotter pin and crank the nut down. I can always wait until later to repack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

After I've driven in the rain I get all sorts of front suspension squeaks that run their course.
    - Mark

Former 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 (BN2)
    Former 1962 Mk1 Austin Mini (850)
    Former 1973 Austin Mini (really a 1980s Cooperized Mini)
    Present 1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite (with 1275, 5 speed, discs, etc)

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I popped open the hub on each side, moved the bolt a single flat further in, reset the cotter pins, no more rattling. I'll have to test drive it later to see if that cured the problem.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Still had the squeak today, but not quite as prevalent. I'm pretty sure it's a suspension component as it only squeaked over bumps. Maybe hit the grease zerks with a few shots from the grease gun. As we're getting later into the driving season, I'm sure the car is starting to need some routine maintenance again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it squeaks when you go over bumps, and you have an ARB with poly bushings, it could be the bushings need lubricating. Poly bushings can squeak like the dickens when dry. Well, maybe not that much, but I figured out that was where the squeak was coming from whenever I went slowly over a speed bump. Pulled the bushings off and smeared that super thick poly grease on it and it went away! Its an easy fix if that is what it is.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have poly bushings on the trunnions where they connect to the shock arms -- and the squeaking would be consistent with the location -- that makes sense.