• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Trans replacement front oil seal not same size as original

Dash

Took the front cover off my tr4 transmission to replace the oil seal (non OD) but noticed that the Moss replacement seal inner rim isn't as deep as the original. Outer rim doesn't seem to be either..The inner rim depth of the original measures 1/2" (+,- a minuscule fraction) and the new one only 5/16..Has anyone had any issues with the replacement seal? Should I put the seal on the shaft first to make sure it sits over the shaft hub then the cover or press it into the cover first and hope it slides far enough to catch it?
Shop manuals I have only refference the seals but otherwise no help.
Thanks

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd call Blaine at Moss and have him give you whatever assurance you need. Or TRF, VB or BPNW. They should know, but now I have a question. How did you get the front cover off? I recall that some kind of puller is needed to replace the seal. Is that right?

OP
D

Dash

Luke, you don't have to pull the main shaft to remove the cover..after taking out the four bolts holding it in, it slides right off..maybe have to finesse it a bit to clear the splines..The oil seal (unless I'm really screwed up and I hope someone corrects me if I am) is pressed into the cover..It's actually listed as an external gearbox part..
The replacement seal is of the same basic configuration and the exterior rim is the same diameter as the original but the interior rim of the replacement is not as thick or deep..That's why I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with one from Moss that they used.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
AUSMHLY BJ8 Trans Cover Carpet Austin Healey 7
T General TR Another trans popping out of 2nd Triumph 14
S TR2/3/3A engine and trans are stuck together pretty well Triumph 8
AngliaGT Pontiac Trans Sport / Honda Insight Spotted 1
EWD TR6 ā€˜74 TR6 Starter & Trans Cover Triumph 13
B COMPLETE DROP-IN Rebuilt 1975/6 MG Midget 1500 engine PLUS rebuilt Spitfire Overdrive trans NEVER INSTALLED Spridgets Classified 2
steveg Toyota W58 Trans Hard Getting Into Gear Austin Healey 8
skystryd Trans and Diff Spridgets 7
G Trans Axle Parts Lotus 20
tinman58 TR5/TR250 Trans slipping in reverse Triumph 38
R General Tech Preserve eng/trans that has been removed Triumph 11
S For Sale 3000 BJ8 Laycock 4 speed with 22% OD trans & 2 6 cyln engines / long blocks / BUNDLE Austin Healey Classifieds 1
S For Sale RARE FIND BN2-BT7 and? Trans Parts for Sale Austin Healey Classifieds 2
T Toyota 6 cylinder eng & trans in a BJ7 Austin Healey 0
Superwrench For Sale 62 BT-7 Trans. and OD unit for sale Austin Healey Classifieds 0
doc50 NASH METROPOLITAN trans capacity? Other British Cars 0
RAC68 Alternate Trans/OD Oil Selection Austin Healey 17
doc50 Nash Metroplitan trans swap? Other British Cars 33
Bob Claffie Spitfire Engine & trans compatability Triumph 1
B For Sale 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 SCCA big bore race car plus parts lot engine trans etc Austin Healey Classifieds 0
P 5spd Trans for Bugeye Sprite Spridgets Classified 14
RAC68 Another Discussion of Trans/OD Fluid Austin Healey 14
S Smitty trans Master cylinder Austin Healey 21
C General MG Midget trans mounts MG 0
R TR2/3/3A Transmission fluid for 57 TR-3 Manual OD Trans Triumph 3
S TR4/4A Trans/OD gear oil? Triumph 14
D TR4/4A broken trans fork pin Triumph 14
C TR4/4A How to get the $&@%# filler bolt out of the side of the trans to top her off?!? Triumph 7
histerical Dat Trans Spridgets 2
bugedd Datsun 210 Trans Question Spridgets 9
M TR4/4A Covers at side of H frame over the trans tunnel...ideas please. Triumph 9
K TR6 Thread repair for trans cover bolt Triumph 14
S TR2/3/3A driver side on the trans-cover? Triumph 11
tinman58 TR5/TR250 Trans swap Triumph 2
NutmegCT Any Borg-Warner automatic trans experts here? Other Cars 5
N Trans compatibility Spridgets 6
RAC68 Loud Trans Scrapping Noise Austin Healey 9
britlover TR4/4A Where can I get an A-type TR4A Trans rebuilt in SE Michigan? Triumph 9
M TR2/3/3A TR3 overdrive trans rear speedi sleeve Triumph 6
S TR2/3/3A overdrive trans Triumph 11
R GT6 GT6 trans issue Triumph 3
S TR2/3/3A Test an overdrive trans. Triumph 6
K TR2/3/3A TR3A with TR6 trans Clutch Bleed Issue Resolved. Triumph 6
B TR6 Trans number decode Triumph 6
G Diff and trans oil Spridgets 8
DanLewis Two midgets available: '79 is free [no engine, trans], running '77 $1500 [NFI] Spridgets 1
K TR2/3/3A Help!..Installed new Clutch....Trans stuck in Gear? Triumph 8
RedTR3 TR2/3/3A Trans Gear lever interference Triumph 0
BlueMax Engine & Trans Finley In! Spridgets 27
doc50 TR2/3/3A TR3 trans issue Triumph 1