• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR8 Starter wiring help needed

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I wrestled the original OEM TR8 starter out of my '80 TR8 project and have a Rover-spec replacement (like BP Northwest has listed at https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph...l/starter-gear-reduction-new-rover-v-164.html.) The original starter has a unique setup for connections: battery connection post, another large terminal post, plus two wires that screw in together on another connection and then a lone small wire that screws into the other side.

So the question is: how do I wire this all to a new starter and solenoid that has the same two large posts on the solenoid plus one spade connector post?

Any ideas would be great, because I can't find a single place on the web that indicates how to wire all these individual wires to the starter/solenoid.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Sam -

When I had my TR8, I replaced the starter as you are. I remember a difference in wiring, but not sure at this time what that was. Will see if I have any notes on it and get back to you if my memory jogs.

I do remember replacing the mounting bolts with allen head bolts. Makes removing and replacing MUCH easier the next time!

:cheers:
Mickey

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I addition to this forum you may wish to subscribe to the TR8 mailing list. Super helpful and very experienced people there too...

What does the wiring diagram say?

RickInMiami

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ballast resistor bypass circuit.jpgI used this diagram to wire a relay into my TR8's high torque starter circuit. Hope this helps.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
What does the wiring diagram say?
The wiring diagram just shows the battery cable going to the solenoid combined with the brown (alternator wire), and then a white/red (to the starter relay) to another terminal on the solenoid and a white/yellow (ballast resistor) to a third terminal on the solenoid.

An updated one online shows no white/red, but rather two white/orange together on a single terminal: one going to the starter relay (meeting up with white/red) and the other going to the oil pressure switch.

Last edited:
OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Don,
The wiring diagram on the bottom of your post is not correct for a 1980 Carb TR8. The photo in the middle looks stock, as it appears the alternator and battery are on one pole, the (actually on my car) black/orange together on a single screw in terminal and the brown to the ballast resistor up top.

I think the issue will be that I either need to have a four pole or need to put in a relay for 12V bypass of the ballast resistor. I might just clean and reuse my current solenoid.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Man, I wish I could remember what I did to hook it up. I do remember the difference involved the white/orange (or white/red - conflicting info there) wire, but can't remember whether it was simply omitted or spliced elsewhere. Contact Woody at the Wedge Shop; I'm sure he can help.

Let us know!

Mickey

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Call Woody or Ted, don't think the extra wire is needed can't remember which is which

I know I have a pic of the new starter wired but can't find it ...sorry Sammy

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Call Woody or Ted, don't think the extra wire is needed can't remember which is which

I know I have a pic of the new starter wired but can't find it ...sorry Sammy

Yeah, that's the issue. What to do with the white/yellow wire. It's connected to the ballast resistor, and if I recall, it's not necessary in some instances (carburetor vs. fuel injection, and depending on the distributor used); and my less-than-perfect memory tells me it's not used. The white/orange wire is the one that energizes the starter. But again, my recall isn't to be trusted here! Anyway, Woody can definitely shed some light.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Trying to get the poster of this to chime in

View attachment 44380
Here is how mine is wired, had to add a lug to the side that is energized when the starter is engaged for the wire to the ballast resistor.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
So that is my picture that Don posted. Here is one with the wire to the ballast resistor labeled. I had to add a connection for that wire, I took a ring terminal and a male spade terminal, connected them, and installed the ring terminal under the connection that comes active when the starter is energized. The reason for that connection is that it provides full power to the coil during startup. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 149
OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I used this diagram to wire a relay into my TR8's high torque starter circuit. Hope this helps.

Rick -- was that relay a special one, or just a generic 12V?

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
So I emailed with Woody, and he solved it for me:

- Battery cable and wire to alternator on the big lug.
- Wires to starter relay and oil switch on the big press-on spade
- leave wire to ballast resistor off, as Woody states that since the new starters take less voltage, the TR8 will start just fine without the full 12V through the ballast resistor

I installed the starter today, but since my "new" ignition switch is faulty (jammed up), and my carbs are off for cleaning, I haven't tried it yet.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Glad that part's sorted!