• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 speed gear shift lever

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm getting close to installing the engine and 5 speed and I like the original shifter on the ribcase, but all the conversions I see use the Datsun lever cut and welded toward the right side. Has anyone used a ribcase lever welded to the Datsun one? Pictures please!
Thanks, Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 98

1974MGMidget

Rut, why the attachment to a piece of chromed steel rod? :fat: Esp. since it will be covered by a boot? But, I see no reason why you can't weld the top of your shifter to the lower part of the Datsun shifter. I'm pretty sure MG steel will stick to Datsun steel when welded!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I had Gerard adapt my 5-speed lever for the one going into my Bugeye. No pics of it installed yet, as it's not installed. :grin:

Did the same for my Morris, and it looks nice and stock. Also used a 5-speed knob from Futofab (https://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=94) -- looks stock other than the 5th gear.

I would expect you could weld the ribcase lever to the Datsun base -- it's the same as they do for the 5-speed. Cut and weld -- you'd have some different bends and different threads on the top. I can get a pic of my Sprite-modified lever when I get home late tonight if you want.

This is the Morris:
interior.jpg

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys...I just like the slender stock shift lever better than the thicker Datsun lever. It's no problem to cut and weld, but I wanted to see one before i did it.
Rut

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Actually I get where your coming from. I have the Datsun shifter on mine and here is the rub.
with the stock bugeye shift knob you end up with the transition land from smooth steel shaft to threads showing a bit at at the base of the knob
least mine does not brave enough to thread it on any further.
not a huge issue but I know it's there.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I shorten my 5 speed shaft to just protrude above the shift gaiter to accent the beautifully fitted Speedwell Shift knob.

P1040315.jpg

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I shorten my 5 speed shaft to just protrude above the shift gaiter to accent the beautifully fitted Speedwell Shift knob.

View attachment 44292

I do like the feel of that little speedwell knob. I even like the winged "S". I have tried several knobs and I just like the
size and shape of this knob best. Opinions will vary. Nice knob.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

View attachment 44292
BlueMax -
WOW!! nice interior!:encouragement:
couple of questions:
1. did you have to enlarge the stock shifter cover? I find my shifter comes within 1/8" of the can either in 1st or reverse..so the stock gaiter/grommet doesn't work.
2. Where did you find that gaiter? I was thinking of doing something very similar (gaiter on top, allowing shifter to move within stock can, although tight..it doesn't hit the opening.

Appreciate your insight.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
What Size Speedhut Gauges are in there? They look bigger that 3 3/8" Size which IIRC matches the BE Dash Openings.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What many probably don't realize, is that there are at least two different style shift levers. Some taper gently to the threads, much like the original Sprite lever, others have a consistent OD as it moves up to the threaded end, and appear more blunt below the knob.

Actually I get where your coming from. I have the Datsun shifter on mine and here is the rub.
with the stock bugeye shift knob you end up with the transition land from smooth steel shaft to threads showing a bit at at the base of the knob
least mine does not brave enough to thread it on any further.
not a huge issue but I know it's there.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Depending on how the Datsun lower portion of the shift lever is welded to the top portion, it may be necessary (more like probable) that you will have to enlarge or move the hole in the sheet metal bucket. I ended up using an MGB gaiter and it looks fine.
Cheers,
Scott in CA

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Depending on how the Datsun lower portion of the shift lever is welded to the top portion, it may be necessary (more like probable) that you will have to enlarge or move the hole in the sheet metal bucket. I ended up using an MGB gaiter and it looks fine.
Cheers,
Scott in CA
Scott,
I have an extra top hat that I can cut down and weld to get the range I need, but I would love to see pictures of your set up. I'm shooting for a stock appearance, but this may be one of those things I have to be flexible on.
Thanks, Rut

nomad

Yoda
Rut, If you take just the top half of your Datsun lever and weld it to the lower you will end up with essentially the same thing won't you? I'v e modified a couple with the Datsun components and you can come up with about any configuration you want.

Kurt

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut, If you take just the top half of your Datsun lever and weld it to the lower you will end up with essentially the same thing won't you? I'v e modified a couple with the Datsun components and you can come up with about any configuration you want.

Kurt
Kurt,
I can do that, but the thickness of the Datsun lever is too much for my tastes...I like the skinny original!
Rut

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I do like the feel of that little speedwell knob. I even like the winged "S". I have tried several knobs and I just like the
size and shape of this knob best. Opinions will vary. Nice knob.

You bet Gundy, that Speedwell Knob fits soooooo perfect to your palm without any fatigued. And The Speedwell winged ”S” just adds the nostalgic performance look to boot!!

Country flag
... no metal gear knobs for me. Different strokes for different folks, but I like a shift knob that doesn't conduct heat.

nomad

Yoda
Kurt,
I can do that, but the thickness of the Datsun lever is too much for my tastes...I like the skinny original!
Rut

Yeah but the upper end of the Datsun lever is skinny. Forgot though that the one I conversion I like I cut off the top of the Datsun lever and welded a bolt to it so that I could get away from the metric threads. Then painted the lever black. The Datsun knob feels good though and does indicate the five speed pattern.

Kurt.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kurt,
Take a look at the pictures I posted...I don't know if it shows up well, but the Datsun shifter is half again as big as the ribcase shifter.
Thanks, Rut