• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Late Fuel Tank in Pre-TS60000 TR3A

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
I've discovered that my car has the wrong tank. It worked fine while I drove it in the 90's, even if the fuel line was poking through a non-standard hole in the floor back there. Has anyone fitted a post-TS60000 fuel tank (left outlet) to an earlier TR3/3A? Outside of fuel line change are there any negative experiences?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
It is probably an improvement because the newer tank sits up higher and does not get wet from a leaking trunk and rust out. I believe the newer tank holds a little less, but only a gallon or so.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It will fit. The shape of the new style tank is different from the old. I had to make a large patch where the floor of the trunk rusted out but opted to use the new style on my 59. As you can see in the attached picture, I added 3 little risers to support the bottom of the tank -part of the tank sits upon the shelf in front of it. That's the difference between the height of the old trunk bottom and the new, after they 'opened up' the spare tire compartment. The location of the fuel line hole is different, but I think the drain hole is the same. Also it's a bit of a strain to get to that fuel line fitting, but it's possible. I don't regret doing it. I had to make sure the straps still held the tank tightly and the filler neck was positioned properly.

Attachments

• New_tank_supports.jpg
    New_tank_supports.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 90
OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, guys. Thus encouraged, believe I will continue to use the "wrong" tank. Given that my floor is now repainted, I might try to place a hardwood board with cutouts underneath rather than installing elevated brackets to distribute the lower tank weight. Appreciate the information.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A Late model TR3 Fuel Tank Straps available to a nice home Triumph 0
R6MGS T-Series Late MGB fuel cut off switch MG 5
V MGB Replace late intake manifold angled breather with early model straight? MG 1
C What to do with my late father's Healey 100 Austin Healey 5
K TR6 TR6 late rims wanted Triumph 0
M Need help removing the pinion assembly from a late 1275 steering rack Spridgets 7
B Austin-Healey late 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 1
WHT Late BJ8 Seat Belt Mounting Points Austin Healey 8
D Wanted WTB: Late Triumph Spitfire Top Frame Triumph Classifieds 8
T TR4/4A Recommendation on top for a late TR4A Triumph 8
steveg TR6 Late Wiper/Washer Switch - What Happened? Triumph 3
R 3-point seat belts on late production BT7 MKII Austin Healey 7
T For Sale Triumph TR6 N.O.S engine block [late] Triumph Classifieds 2
M TR2/3/3A Upper Fulcrum Orientation On TR3A with Late TR4 Upper Control Arms Triumph 6
M Wanted WTB Late model TR6 Front Brake Caliper Brackets Triumph Classifieds 0
B Wanted WTB: TR3 Late model-"Round bottom" door Triumph Classifieds 4
crispy How to Remove the Exhaust Manifold?? [late BJ8] Austin Healey 27
Alfred E. Neuman Late Healey 3000 Spotted 0
JPSmit Late night Benz [no pics] Other Cars 3
B Wanted Late TR6 Gearbox frame Crossmember Triumph Classifieds 1
M TR2/3/3A Late 57 Production with a Small Mouth Apron Triumph 16
K Wanted W.T.B. Late 100 BN1-BN2 DOOR HINGE Austin Healey Classifieds 0
L For Sale late tr4a IRS project Triumph Classifieds 0
T TR2/3/3A Early/Late Starter? Triumph 6
Michael Oritt Spridget Differential Carrier--early versus late question Spridgets 1
Marvin Gruber Mounting info needed for late BJ8 license plate holder Austin Healey 9
S Late 1930s Business Coupe Other Cars 1
tr3guy TR2/3/3A Late TR3A, TR3B windshield assemply Triumph 5
TR3driver TR2/3/3A Late TR3A fuse box mounting Triumph 10
B TR4/4A Late TR4A - Anyone know what this is ??? Triumph 10
Joe Reed MGB DIY Late MGB Mud Shield MG 0
eschneider Any late-model Mercedes owners willing to review new brake pads/ rotors? Other Cars 4
L WTB - rear leaf spring, late model Sprite / Midget Spridgets 8
Keoke SEE it is never too late Austin Healey 3
T TR2/3/3A Has anyone put late TR4/4A upper A-arms and ball joints on TR3? Triumph 3
wkilleffer MGB brake light switches of late Restoration & Tools 3
Mickey Richaud Early [late 30's?] 10 Spotted 0
B TR6 Vacuum retard late TR6 Triumph 4
B TR6 Is the "separation tank" in late model TR6's necessary? Triumph 5
G Late model head light circuit Spridgets 3
af3683 TR2/3/3A Late TR3 Starter Triumph 3
B Spitfire How do you replace U Joint on late model Spitfire OD Prop/Drive shaft? Triumph 7
6TTR3A TR2/3/3A Late TR2 Grill surround Triumph 12
R TR6 How does one test the voltage regulator in th late TR6? Triumph 2
D Late to early bumper swap Triumph 10
dklawson 150 CD Carb Floats - Early vs Late ? Triumph 2
wingsandwheels TR6 Late TR6 Wiper/Wash Switch Triumph 0
Geo Hahn TR4/4A TR4 / late TR3A Starter Pinion Triumph 4
F Late BJ7- any close to mine? 25281 Austin Healey 14
S TR2/3/3A Late TR3A windscreen Washers Triumph 7