• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pan Handlers - a better way

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This is a program our Mayor though of and reached out to St Martin's Center to help implement. We have had a very bad problem with pan handles all over the city and this has really been helping.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
While there are people out there who are genuinely down on their luck, I've found that most of the panhandlers in our area are either addicts or "professional" panhandlers. A lot of my sympathies went out the window when I saw no less than six panhandlers pile out of a minivan to take up their positions on various street corners. And, anytime I see someone panhandling and using their kids for "props" (for lack of a better term), I will call the police on them without hesitation.

One of our band roadies used to be homeless. He always told me the best way to tell the difference between a con-artist or addict and someone genuinely down on their luck was to look at their shoes. If they are wearing good shoes, or shoes that look new, odds are they are just trying to pull one over on you.

The one thing about this program is that it will separate those who need a chance versus ones who are looking for a quick hit. I've heard stories that when people have offered work to those who hold signs "Will Work For Food", they'll run off rather than take the person up on their offer.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
While there are people out there who are genuinely down on their luck, I've found that most of the panhandlers in our area are either addicts or "professional" panhandlers. A lot of my sympathies went out the window when I saw no less than six panhandlers pile out of a minivan to take up their positions on various street corners. And, anytime I see someone panhandling and using their kids for "props" (for lack of a better term), I will call the police on them without hesitation.

One of our band roadies used to be homeless. He always told me the best way to tell the difference between a con-artist or addict and someone genuinely down on their luck was to look at their shoes. If they are wearing good shoes, or shoes that look new, odds are they are just trying to pull one over on you.

The one thing about this program is that it will separate those who need a chance versus ones who are looking for a quick hit. I've heard stories that when people have offered work to those who hold signs "Will Work For Food", they'll run off rather than take the person up on their offer.

In this program, they are offered the opportunity to work: if they are genuinely down on their luck, they will accept the opportunity. It is not a perfect solution but it is seeing good results. Also, many of the addicts are also ppl with mental illness and this program also helps them get the help they need (connects them with resources). When ppl have mental illness they are too often ignored by the system and I'm in favor of a program that will help at least some of them possibly get the help they might not otherwise get.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Like our Police Chief says - "Don't give them money - donate to the places
that help them out".Most shelters have rules to follow,& many won't do that.
The other thing I don't like,is that they camp on public property along Humboldt Bay,
on which it's illegal to camp on.They ran them out,& now they're trying to sue the city,demanding
that the city find them housing,or let them be.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
In this program, they are offered the opportunity to work: if they are genuinely down on their luck, they will accept the opportunity. It is not a perfect solution but it is seeing good results. Also, many of the addicts are also ppl with mental illness and this program also helps them get the help they need (connects them with resources). When ppl have mental illness they are too often ignored by the system and I'm in favor of a program that will help at least some of them possibly get the help they might not otherwise get.

It is certainly a better program than the status quo.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
It is certainly a better program than the status quo.

Absolutely. While there probably are a few who are just scammers, I can tell you for a fact that many many of the folks on the street are there because they have serious mental illness, substance abuse problems, or both. They either don't have families to help or their families don't know how to help. I know this because, in the class I've been teaching for the past 10 years www.nami.org/f2f I have had many families take the class who have mentally ill family members who are living on the streets. This program is helping not only to give them meaningful work, but also it is connecting them with resources they need to address their mental illness and/or substance abuse problems.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like it is at least helping some, surely those who accept the work offer. If so then it is a worthwhile program and maybe will catch on in other cities.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Sounds like it is at least helping some, surely those who accept the work offer. If so then it is a worthwhile program and maybe will catch on in other cities.

And from what I'm hearing, many are taking advantage of this program. Definitely beats doing nothing.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My youngest son drove past a homeless guy with no shoes on a couple of years ago. Stopped his truck, gave the guy an old pair of work boots he had in the truck, then continued on his way. We dragged the boy up right... ;-)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I ended up at a stop light today with a Pan handler who came up to my window. I handed him this flyer, of which I always keep several in my car now. It is for COAST - the Crisis Outreach and Support Team. They can help those (who want help) by finding them Shelter, mental health resources, other resources. COAST is a civilian adjunct to the Albuquerque Police Department, but they are not law enforcement - they are mostly social workers.

coast.jpg

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like the program is getting traction across the country.
This from today's Providence Journal. The article goes on to say that the mayor and others are looking at possibly implementing something similar downtown.
image.jpg