• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cruise night tonight - interesting observation

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not really criticising but, there are a lot of truly amazing hot rods and rat rods at the cruise night I attend and almost all of them have just two pedals. Sign of the times I suppose.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
and,around here,many trailer theirs to shows,etc.,because
they're too uncomfortable to drive.
WHY have any car that's no fun to drive (unless it's a dd)?

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used to be really, really big into shifting. Couldn't stand driving an auto when I could hop in the Z06 and row through the gears. Nowadays, I own 2 british cars and neither one has a stick; just can't fit the 3rd pedal in the foot box. I still enjoy driving them and the consistency is nice as well. I know a lot of guys, even older ones, that simply can't drive a stick and won't even try to learn. It shocked me at first, but now, I guess I'm just used to it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Learn to drive a stick shift and you're set for life." - My Dad, ca. 1960.

"Well strip my gears and call me Shiftless!" - My Mom, ca. 1960.

"What's a stick shift?" - just about everyone these days.

View attachment 44054

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Back in the "olden days" when I first got my license, if you took the driving test in an automatic then the license was marked so you were not allowed to drive a manual shift.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What's a stick shift?" -

I recon how that is when one shifts the walking cane from one hand to another hand.:devilgrin:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's funny,but I realized that our '95 Dodge Dakota is the only
vehicle that we own that has an automatic.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's funny,but I realized that our '95 Dodge Dakota is the only
vehicle that we own that has an automatic.

Where you say U Live , Eureka,Ca ?--------:jester:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Of course the EUREKA I have found it moment as in "Eureka! I just realised I have only have one automatic vehicle." :grin:

On the plus side, you didn't need to run down the street naked shouting EUREKA as, legend has it, Archimedes did.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That was funny,the first 20,000 times I heard it,
but you're 20,001!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That was funny,the first 20,000 times I heard it,
but you're 20,001!

:thankyousign::banana: though I am bound to point it that it was your question mark that provoked it. :grin::lol:

Country flag
I've driven a stick almost exclusively for the 40 some years I've been driving, feels kind of odd those times I've had to drive an auto. And one thing to point out, a stick is less likely to be stolen according to the statistics since the majority don't learn how to operate one.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've driven a stick almost exclusively for the 40 some years I've been driving, feels kind of odd those times I've had to drive an auto. And one thing to point out, a stick is less likely to be stolen according to the statistics since the majority don't learn how to operate one.

Ain't it the truth -

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
As you see floating around social media: A picture of a manual gear lever and the caption "Millennial Anti-Theft Device"

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A young guy (ca. 25) I work with asked to drive my TR3. Before I let him get near ... I checked that he knew manual shifting. I then cautioned him to start slow, because "the car doesn't have power brakes."

His reply: "What are power brakes?"

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As you see floating around social media: A picture of a manual gear lever and the caption "Millennial Anti-Theft Device"

They just had a report of an attempted car jacking last night on TV. When the police arrived on the scene, the car was still there but the car jacker wasn't, he couldn't drive a stick shift, so he took off running. They caught him. :encouragement: PJ

catfood

Jedi Knight
I've only driven an auto box once, when holidaying in the States! Only top end cars over here (Mercs, Jags etc) come standard with an auto box. Vast majority of 'normal' cars are manual (stick shift).