Thread: Stayfast Top Query

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stayfast Top Query

When installing an everflex top, typically a 1/2" of "stretch" is added when fastening at the front bow and results in a nice fit. I will be doing my first top replacement using stayfast.
    The stayfast material appears more resilient (structurally) and I would think that the 1/2" would be excessive. Does anybody have any experience at this point?

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Stayfast Top Query

What does the manufacturer suggest. There has to be some instructions. Also, do it outside on a nice hot sunny day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have done a few beetle convertibles and a couple Porsche 356's and a longbridge 100-6. On all of them I just made them nice and tight so as to not have wrinkles. I did not compensate for any future stretch or shrinkage and they have all lasted just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Robbins fabric top on my BJ8 that has been on it for at least 8 years. It was installed tight with no allowance for stretching. It does not seem to expand with heat like the everlast does. It does not fit as well into the fold-down area since it is thicker but if done with care, it does just fine and I can use my tonneau without any problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Lots of good convertible top installation tips in this thread: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/...hlight=sunfast
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Tops are as likely to shrink with time & exposure, so you want to avoid pulling it too tight initially, or you may have difficulty latching it to the header later on.

Tops laid out in the sun make them more pliable during fitting, allowing the wrinkles to be systematically worked out.

Work methodically, take your time, and be very careful with the adhesive(s) so that you don't risk clean up issues later.

Avoid the temptation to stretch it too tight.
    http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/image.php
    57 Healey BN6L-942 Wine Red/Honey Tan
    99 BMW M Coupe EB w/ ES/TS & 99 M Rdstr BK/BK
    01 BMW M Rdstr Steel Gray Performance Center (factory) Delivery
    16 X5M/DINAN Stg II Mineral White Metallic Wife's 716 hp/702 Lb-ft Turbo Hauler

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be clear,this is not the first top replacement I have done, just the first with this material. This material appears to have a lot of structural integrity, so I am going to fit it snug with no extra stretch. healeyblue and Goldie's comments supported my gut feeling. Rick, the top installation thread you referred to has been a "go to" more than once..so much good info there. The car is a '67 BJ8, so lots of tweaking to get window gaps correct. Thanks to everyone. Will post results and pics later.