• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops...wrong airport

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Kind of reminds me of the opening scene in the movie "Strategic Air Command", where an errant DC-3 wants to make an emergency landing at a SAC base. Turns out it is a drill set up by the Curtis LeMay-esque commander and the DC-3 is loaded with theoretical enemy soldiers. Good movie with some great flying scenes, and the typical Jimmy Stewart / June Allyson husband/wife chemistry.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Delta used the slogan "Delta Gets You There" several years ago. Perhaps they could bring it back with a slight variation as "Delta, We Get You Close."

D

Deleted member 8987

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Kind of reminds me of the opening scene in the movie "Strategic Air Command", where an errant DC-3 wants to make an emergency landing at a SAC base. Turns out it is a drill set up by the Curtis LeMay-esque commander and the DC-3 is loaded with theoretical enemy soldiers. Good movie with some great flying scenes, and the typical Jimmy Stewart / June Allyson husband/wife chemistry.

I love that movie! I own that movie! (I love June Allyson - huge crush on her as a youngster)

PS: I just got inspired and am watching it now!

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I love that movie! I own that movie! (I love June Allyson - huge crush on her as a youngster)

PS: I just got inspired and am watching it now!

Agree! Great movie!

One of the best scenes - the "hard landing" of the B-36 during a blizzard in Greenland.

Yes!
Tom M.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Most of the filming of aircraft operations were shot pointed west on takeoffs and landings instead of eastward. That part of the filming was done at an actual SAC base, Carswell AFB, just outside of Fort Worth TX and the active SAC base operations would have been shown had they filmed to the east. The buildings that you see in those takeoff and landing shots are of USAF Plant 4 which has been operated over time by Consolidated/Consolidated Vultee/Convair/General Dynamics/Lockheed/Lockheed Martin. The B-36 bombers used in the film were built at that plant which has also built B-24s, B-32s, B58s, F-111s, F-16s, F-22 mid bodies and F-35s, several modification programs and a few "Project Cancelled" efforts since being built.

Attached is an aerial shot of the Convair plant taken in 1953 with part of the Carswell runway and taxi ways in the view. The aircraft in the red box is the XB-50 that was Convair's competitor in the jet engined heavy bomber competition won by Boeing with what went on to become the B-52.

Attachments

• Convair Fort Worth Circa 1953.jpg
    Convair Fort Worth Circa 1953.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Agree! Great movie!

One of the best scenes - the "hard landing" of the B-36 during a blizzard in Greenland.

Yes!
Tom M.

That just happened as I'm watching.

One small editorial boo boo I just noticed. When Col Holland is back home from Thule, Greenland he is talking to his wife and about to meet his new baby. He gives her a present from Thule, which turns out to be a stuffed penguin. Since Penguins are found almost exclusively in the southern hemisphere, that present seems a bit out of place as a gift he picked up in Thule.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Most of the filming of aircraft operations were shot pointed west on takeoffs and landings instead of eastward. That part of the filming was done at an actual SAC base, Carswell AFB, just outside of Fort Worth TX and the active SAC base operations would have been shown had they filmed to the east. The buildings that you see in those takeoff and landing shots are of USAF Plant 4 which has been operated over time by Consolidated/Consolidated Vultee/Convair/General Dynamics/Lockheed/Lockheed Martin. The B-36 bombers used in the film were built at that plant which has also built B-24s, B-32s, B58s, F-111s, F-16s, F-22 mid bodies and F-35s, several modification programs and a few "Project Cancelled" efforts since being built.

Attached is an aerial shot of the Convair plant taken in 1953 with part of the Carswell runway and taxi ways in the view. The aircraft in the red box is the XB-50 that was Convair's competitor in the jet engined heavy bomber competition won by Boeing with what went on to become the B-52.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info and picture.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
A few years ago, after a week long road trip, I dropped one of my Corp. VP's off at Greenville/Spartanburg AP to pick up his car.
we drove around the parking lots for an hour looking for it.
finally he called his wife to let her know her Mercedes had been stolen from the GSAP.
........she pointed out he had departed from the Atlanta AP.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
More airport trivia!

Here's a photo of the Convair plant in the early 1950s. Note all the B-36 Peacemakers on the field - and the two YB-60 prototype bombers. YB-60 was Convair's attempt to use the B-36 design for the Pentagon's requested jet-powered long range bomber. The YB-60 lost out - to the B-52 we still use today.

View attachment 43778

(To the south of that field was a house at 5108 Geddes Avenue - where we lived at the time. Boy do I remember the sound of the Peacemakers as they flew overhead.)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Never had the opportunity to see a B-36 in flight, but it was always one of my favorite planes. I remember building a model B-36 as a kid.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag

Wow. Any place that can make a B-36 look small has to be absolutely enormous!

Country flag
Being a reserve colonel at the time with a full combat tour over Europe during the war as well as being on Dolittle's 8th AF staff along with being Jimmy Stewart certainly opened the doors to film and use AF assets.

When I was young my home was under the training area for Wright Pat and Rickenbacker AF bases and we'd see aircraft out doing training all the time. One I recall was an f-15 and a group of A-7 attack aircraft which came over and circled for a couple minutes then the A-7s scattered in all directions. The F-15 circled another couple minutes, and then went a hunting..