• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugsy IV Progress today

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
:tennis: I’d call it a great day. Lots of progress today. Got issues with wiring hanging down under the dash, fixed ignition Switch. It was missing the spring that holds ignition switch in place. Pulled one from Bugsy II, replaced Dual Gauge with Bugsy II’s. I managed to rerun the cable without breaking the capillary tube and even clamped it into place and rerouted some wiring that could potentially chafe. Replaced two bulbs that were dead, and reconnected Wiring for fuel gauge. That took some special fabricating that I needed put together. I cleaned up connectors as I ran across them. Radiator will be ready on Wednesday and a parts order from AH Spares should arrive Thursday or Friday with parts I need to complete the cooling system.

Spent a good chunk of the afternoon standing on my head fixing wiring. Removing Driver’s Seat made it possible to work under there. Drivers Seat, turned over the usually rusty cushion, absolutely clean no rust. Really looks good underneath. Time to get the rest of this wiring work finished and then I can think about adding power to the harness and turning over the motor. There was a drip of oil from the oil pressure tube when I disconnected. That’s a good thing as well. Hope to see tonight if I have compression.

After putting about 8 -9 hours in today, I got the Driver’s Seat reinstalled, so much easier to do when the Seat Cushion is removable, tools cleaned up and put away and at 10:00 PM decided to add power to the harness. Grabbed the Fire Extinguisher first and foremost. Connected the battery up as positive ground. All fuses were pulled as a just in case thing and the fuse box needs cleanup as well as the Regulator Box. I turned on the Parking Lights and voila the part of the dash I worked on and cleaned connections lit up. A good sign and nothing smoked yet.

I turned the key to start position and an absolutely horrible noise started coming from under the hood. WTH is that noise. OMG is something about to blow up. WTH is wrong. I then realized that horrible noise was coming from the fuel pump. Time to disconnect it, no fuel in tank, it just makes a horrible racket. That thing mounted up by the engine will need to be relocated to the rear.

After realizing where the noise was coming from I pulled the Starter Switch and Crank, Crank, Crank the engine turned over. I let it crank for a few times around and stopped at that point. Compression gauge on essentially a dry engine read 90 lbs on # 1. I had added a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder but that's all I did. Craning was pretty slow. I need to disconnect the Compression Gauge and let it crank a few more times, no more than 20 seconds to see if it will build pressure. Will resort of priming trick tomorrow but I needed to see if anything would happen when I pulled the switch.

I was able to make quite a haul from a fellow Spridgeteer, John Kuzman in Cincinnati yesterday on parts I needed for Bugsy IV. John provided 4 Tires and Rims, a Dizzy, and a Valve Cover. The tires are now 12 years old and will need to be replaced but they will work to get Bugsy to British Car Days in Dayton in 3 weeks. Thanks John for your help and support.

Next steps on the Critical Path include getting Bugsy on Jack Stands tomorrow and pulling the Wheels and Drums off to see if there are any brake shoes and drums installed. E-Brake Cable doesn’t feel attached to anything. Supposed to have had new Master and Clutch Installed along with a new Clutch and a Rib Case. No fluid in anything. Not sure if repairs were ever completed . Will know more tomorrow assuming I can get my butt out of bed in the AM. Tired from standing on my head all day long under the dash. Grandkids and Fireworks in the evening do take priority over Bugsy Work. Pleased with Progress today. There is light at the end of the tunnel. .

So in summary. Everything on the checklist to do for today was accomplished including removing and reinstalling the Driver’s Seat to I could address wiring issues before I added power to the wiring harness. Nothing blew up or started on fire. Yeah Team.

Bugsy IV - Reassembly and Build
Task #
Date
Task
Duration
% Complete
Predecessor
Priority
7/2/16
Obtain Tires and Rims
100%
7/2/16
Dose John K have an extra Dizzy to sell Y/N
100%
7/3/16
Secure Ignition Switch w Clip
100%
7/3/16
Connect all wires hanging down below dash
100%
7/3/16
Check dash lights - Working Y/N
YES
100%
7/3/16
Reconect Blower motor - Wire Cut
100%
7/3/16
Fire Extinguisher
100%
7/3/16
Connect Battery
100%
7/3/16
Anything Smoke - if not
NO
100%
7/3/16
Change Dual Gauge
100%
7/3/16
Perform Compression Test
25%
7/3/16
Validate Numbers - Do we have compression Y/N
Y on # 1
7/3/16
Get Feedback on Compression #'s
100lbs%
7/3/16
Will this engine Start
likely
7/3/16
Disconnect Battery
100%

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Looks like a good day indeed! I headed to the lake for a long weekend, so no progress on my Bugeye, but have time scheduled this week. I've still got a bunch of restored and repaired parts from grill to tail lights if you need anything.
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Rut, I've got a Brand New, never installed NOS grille that unfortunately has a quarter sized rust spot on the eyebrow. Need to send out and get New tail lights and turn signals came with Bugsy IV. The other grille I have is covered with Kentucky Chrome. That will need to do for now.

Fireworks look like a rainout for tonight so back in the garage tonight. Will prime engine and crank over and see if I can get oil pressure. I need to get up on jack stands and get the wheels and drums off to see what brakes look like.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
7/10/16

Progress today Got almost 3 hours of work effort on Bugsy IV tonight after attending the Cincinnati LBC Show today. Congrats to John Kuzman 1st place against 5 BE's with his Leaf Green BE. First rubber FLoormat I've ever seen I person. Wow nice BE to pattern after.

New Dizzy installed. Cap and Rotor Replaced. Electrical complete other than a wire I need to add the right sex quick connector to and some hat shrink. That bastard bottom screw hidden underneath and next to the oil pressure line fought me for 2hours. #!$!#~#@!$# words were heard in the garage tonight. Thanks to John Kuzman for the dizzy and Tim Bossee for the vacuum advance line copper line. Still, next steps. See if I can get this baby to fire up. Or at least go Putt, Putt, on some Starter Fluid while I resolve a new fuel pump issue.

Brakes and Hydraulics to come., Appears to have a new never had any fluid added to it MC installed. Hopefully that means something good. I hope the clutch slave is new as well and will need to look at pads and Wheel cylinders and hoses.

Lamps and Lenses and electrical need new bling installed. All new in boxes just need to get to the bling installation. Drivers Door needs adjustment. Grille needs installed. Do I put on the 40 y.o, NOS Grille with the big quarter sized Rust Spot on the chrome eyebrow or one spray painted with KY Chrome. Decisions, Decisions but progress ever onward.

Seat Belts, need to source Seat Belts quickly. If engine starts and I can bleed hydraulics and they feel good, I may actually be able to have this running, inspected, and registered by Dayton British Car Day Show on 8/06/16 My Birthday. Hey this would be a great 66th Brithday present to get running.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Appointment after work and 10 miles on the bike however.

picked up all vacuum hose fittings to make dizzy work.

Ordered Red 3 way retractable belts

ordered guilotine from BE Guy for my wayward ignition switch

back to the garage tomorrow

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
7/12 Progress
Dizzy Install completed.
Vacuum Advance Install complete - A little bit of McGuyvering but it will work

Fuse Block is complete crud and also has blue paint on contacts. Thinking time for a new one along with new fuses

Gas pedal removed and soaking in EvapoRust. Stuck at WOT. And Gas Pedal is bent at 45 degree angle from too much pressure,
Changing to top hinged pedal so no big deal
Need to change oil first, but about ready to try and start it. Supposed to have help on Thursday PM. I have oil pressure and will see if fuel pump quiets after it starts drawing some gas from the tank. Tank looks good and was drained of gas before storage I believe.

Wheels off tomorrow, do I have any brakes installed. Master is new, never had any fluid in it. Hoping brakes were reworked all around

DugMoney

Country flag
Good Luck man!

When I received my bugeye back in 1998 from my great uncle, it too still had the "rubber carpet" in it as well. It was all dry rotted and tearing apart. At that time, I didn't realize how rare it was and I still kick my self for ripping it out.

Something I did find though and I thought was pretty cool, behind the seats in the "boot" area (floor panel) wrote in yellow crayon is the body # and the guy's initials who wrote it or inspected it. I couldn't believe it when I saw it....

GL with your project and upload some pics when you get a chance!

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Go Jim, Go! Makes me feel bad that I haven't been able to work on Baby Blue at all for over a week.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
7/13/16 - A VERY, VERY Nice Surprise tonight. Pulled wheels and drums and discovered underneath, nice and shiny new brake shoes Front and Rear, all new Wheel Cylinders, Hose, hardware inside all bright and shiny. Combo Cylinder is new and has never had Brake Fluid in it. YEAH. Go Bugsy IV. Need to adjust brakes, adjust E-Brake, add Castrol LMA, Bleed Brakes. Help coming over tomorrow night and we will see if we can get if to putter with some starting fluid and adjust / bleed brakes. LR Drum being stubborn to get off. Came in and read up on adjusting shoes, Back to the garage.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
7/13/16 Update - Got the LR Drum removed and crap Oil on the inside of the axle. Nothing on shoes or drum just oil on the axle itself on the inside /back of the axle flange and on the inside of the drum. The question is did they pull the axle and fix the seal while they were in there redoing the brakes. Also noticed a snapped bolt on one of the Spring Clamps that I'll need to fix. Clamp is ok just a broken screw. The question is if I cut the head off of the screw can I soak in EvapoRust and then save the spacer. Might be worth a try. If nothing else will get a screw and a nut and a washerand be done with it.View attachment 43830View attachment 43831

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drum itself totally clean and shiny no oil. So plan is to replace with EN17 Axles and go with new Later Backing Plates with new Wheel Cylinders and Front Discs when I install a 3.9 Pumpkin. Disassemble and pull the axle and reseal or just leave alone right now. IIRC I made a new seal out of a Kroger Bag and some Hylomar or maybe it was silicone gasket sealer and that worked for10 years with no leaks on Bugsy II. I think that's the plan "...while I'm in there..." Trying to be ready for a show on August 6.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Brakes, Brakes Bugsy IV has brakes. No fluid getting to rear. Ah ha I've had this happen before. Sure enough that 56 y.o. Brake Hose collapsed internally. Replaced hose, bled rears, rear wheel cylinder is leaking at the bleeder. Tried two different bleeder screws both leaked under pressure. Time to change out the wheel cylinder tomorrow. Progress.

Made an attempt to fire Bugsy up with Starting Fluid. No joy yet. Another mystery to solve. Progress ever forward.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
You are making good progress and you need to post more pictures!
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Rut,

You are right. Got a package from BE Guy a set of retractable 3 Point Seat Beltsfor Bugsy IV. They will clash with the Blue Seats and Door Cards but only for a little while. Also got one of his guillotines for the Ignition Switch. A nice piece of kit to add to Bugsy IV to stop the ignition switch from twisting sideways. I'll take some pics later today after I get into replacing the wheel cylinder on RR that has a leaky bleeder valve.

Monday or Tuesday I'll be getting a new Gas Cap, Starter Switch, and Fuse Block, Gas Pedal. I fixed a recalcitrant gas pedal armature, I found some rust on something finally that was stiff and would not move. 2 days in the EvapoRust and some wire wheel time and another problem solved. It's just cleanup stuff after 56 years. Rear Brake hoses like last night aren't supposed to last 56 years. Anyway have a good firm brake pedal. Now ot fix the leaky wheel cylinder. Help coming over tomorrow and will attempt to rebleed brakes after wheel cylinder and bleed the clutch.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
7/18
Just time for a little job today but an important one. Gas Pedal Linkage was frozen up and sticking wide open and the gas pedal had an interesting. 45 degree curve in it. New Pedal and connector linkage arrived today along with a few other parts. Z shaped arm got to soak an Evaporust for serveral days. That freed up the bushings and a session with the wire wheel mounted in the drill press and some emery cloth shined up the bearing surfaces nicely. Some Rust X Gloss black on the linkage, reinstalled tonight and Bob's Your Uncle. No more sticky throttle and it now looks nice down there. Organ Pedal will come later. Now this job consumed probably 2 hours of time over several days just doing something simple like this. Going to be tough to have it ready for the local show Dayton British Car Days on 8/06/16 . But I'll stay after it.

One important Question - Discovered I left parking lights on and possibly the key in the run position. I know parking lights got left on and in fact that my license plate lamp works. That's the only installed bulb. But if key was left in the Run position did I toast my points? Battery on the charger. Still almost at 100% but ... Did I toast something in the dizzy?

nomad

Yoda
Not hard to check the point condition. If they were open, no harm done.

Kurt.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
7/20 Progress today.
1) Bugsy II now has correct VIN, Body, and BAE Plates installed and I can now make arrangements for an Out of State Inspection to validate VIN. Canadian Bill of Sale, Notarized VIN validation from Quebec BMV, and Stamped Import Certificate from US Customs that carries the VIN #. Hopefully I can get someone to come by the house as Bugsy II is currently on a Rotisserie and Immobile. I have a Buyer who is purchasing As-Is for the Tub and plans on dropping a 300+ Turbo Miata Mill, BE front Suspension, and 4 Link Rear. Wants as is, don't put it back together. I made a good match. If I can get inspected on Saturday, and I need an inspection for out of state for Bugsy IV as well Cash flow will allow me to start on some of the more expensive stuff I need to purchase. 14" VTO Wheels, Sticky Tires, Engine Work, Speedhut Gauges, New Wire Harness.
2) Inspected front Brakes. P.O. Assembled Correctly with Springs in the Back of the Brake Shoes. Help over the weekend to bleed brakes and clutch and assist with checking out wiring and spark issues. Yes I may have melted points but have a new set here at the house.
3) Installed new Starter knob, cable, starter switch, wire Boots, cleaned up connections on the switch wires. Engine speed has increased by at least 1/3 for cranking. I suspected there was corrosion on that switch and the cable had a really short hard pull. Have other knows and switches on hand but will wait to replace until Dash goes to Red Vinyl.
4) My handiwork in McGuyvering the Vacuum Advance can be seen in the picture as well. Anyone have one of those vacuum fittings for a dizzy. It takes the really small fitting.

5) Heater Valve shined up nicely. Has a nice turned knurled knob. And added new heater hose as well as new hoses all around.
6) Tomorrow night will fix brake Springs on LR Drum and adjust brakes, Bleeding happens on Saturday when I get a helper.
View attachment 43945View attachment 43946 7) Shifter feels really wacky and sloppy. There was a rib case installed with this 948. Thinking I many have a smoothcase shifter mated to the RibCase Tranny. Will need to rummage in my back room and come up with the shift knob off my my Ribcase Tranny and see if that resolved the issue.

Lots and lots of stuff going on. Still need to install all of the lights and splice the front harness for lights and turn signals together. Need to replace fuse block as well. Something else I need to order...

Can I make it for British Car Days on August 6. Running out of time but I'm still at it. Now If I can get the engine to fire up. That's the next challenge.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Time for Everyone to go OOOOOH and AAAAAAA!
Ordered Sunday night at 11:30 PM Arrived today. Wow.View attachment 44026
With Shipping $293.05 Delivered. I love currency fluctuations when things are coming this way.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So nice I hate to think about installing it. I have a brand new NOS Grille, never installed, with a quarter sized spot on the eyebrow where it rusted underneath and chrome popped off. I don't believe I could rechrome that one for this price. And this is the Triple Chromed Grille. Anyone want a NOS Grille?