• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Happy Independence Day

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day and a great weekend. By the way, the official document of the Declaration of Independence, on display at the National Archives, was actually signed (mostly) on August 2nd (Birthday of someone you know :single_eye: ).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: ...and three days before someone else.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day and a great weekend. By the way, the official document of the Declaration of Independence, on display at the National Archives, was actually signed (mostly) on August 2nd (Birthday of someone you know :single_eye: ).

thanks Boss! Very neighbourly of you, though we don't typically call it independance day, Canada Day will suffice. Oh wait are you referring to another day? But this is July 1st. :grin:

seriously though have a great and safe weekend!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
thanks Boss! Very neighbourly of you, though we don't typically call it independance day, Canada Day will suffice. Oh wait are you referring to another day? But this is July 1st. :grin:

seriously though have a great and safe weekend!

Thanks! I was in Ottawa at the Parliament on Canada Day, 1985 (I think). I saw a really spectacular light show there! Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me! I was up there briefing a Canadian Air Defense Force General (Gen Battye) on proposed locations for unmanned long-range radars for the North Warning system. I had been part of a small team who conducted comprehensive site surveys all along the northeastern coast (Baffin Island, Labrador, etc) (we surveyed about 32 locations, mostly in very remote and rugged terrain, only accessible by helicopter). It was a very fun 3 months!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks! I was in Ottawa at the Parliament on Canada Day, 1985 (I think). I saw a really spectacular light show there! Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me! I was up there briefing a Canadian Air Defense Force General (Gen Battye) on proposed locations for unmanned long-range radars for the North Warning system. I had been part of a small team who conducted comprehensive site surveys all along the northeastern coast (Baffin Island, Labrador, etc) (we surveyed about 32 locations, mostly in very remote and rugged terrain, only accessible by helicopter). It was a very fun 3 months!

Ottawa does a great show! (As does DC on the 4th) we have a friend who raves about a fireworks show she saw up here in Canadia and, that it was the first time she had ever seen foreworks without military music playing. (She is from Virginia) I still find her observation a tad odd, Disney for instance does non-military music every night, but I digress.

In my last church I had a parishioner who had been second? In command under J Edgar Hoover. He had Alzheimers and could remember almost nothing, but, he and I had an amazing and precious conversation about his experiences in Canada with the DEW line and I fortunately had learned enough in my Military Reserve days to know what he was talking about.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ottawa does a great show! (As does DC on the 4th) we have a friend who raves about a fireworks show she saw up here in Canadia and, that it was the first time she had ever seen foreworks without military music playing. (She is from Virginia) I still find her observation a tad odd, Disney for instance does non-military music every night, but I digress.

In my last church I had a parishioner who had been second? In command under J Edgar Hoover. He had Alzheimers and could remember almost nothing, but, he and I had an amazing and precious conversation about his experiences in Canada with the DEW line and I fortunately had learned enough in my Military Reserve days to know what he was talking about.

The North Warning System, for which I worked to help locate where the radars should be, replaced the DEW line in late 1980's.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have it both ways. I'm in Canada today and will watch the fireworks over Niagara Falls and then drive on to Michigan tomorrow and will celebrate the 4th there after a family wedding on Sunday.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have it both ways. I'm in Canada today and will watch the fireworks over Niagara Falls and then drive on to Michigan tomorrow and will celebrate the 4th there after a family wedding on Sunday.

Lucky guy! Fireworks over Niagara would be awesome.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Lucky guy! Fireworks over Niagara would be awesome.
Better than awesome, I will be watching them from the 16th floor window with my 7 and 9 year old grandsons.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My wife is up in Colorado visiting her sister so I'm home alone this 4th of July. I've just started reading a book that I first read years ago (when I was a young Airman): Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. I saw that it was available in the Kindle edition for FREE on Amazon.com!