• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Different Computer Problems

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It seemed funny that some of us have problems with a program that others have no problems at all. Different browsers work best for one and cause problems with others. Windows 10 is perfect in one situation but lousy in another. Old technology verses new and so on and so on. Listening to all the complaints and praises in the past, I've come to the conclusion that they are a combination of things causing this. Different computers, although basically the same, have differences that affect certain programming. Internet ISPs are not all the same, some slow, some fast. Different Internet browsers work best for one but not for others. So all the cures mentioned to fix a particular problem doesn't work for everyone, to many variables. I have a Toshiba lap top that seems to work well with all programming, including W-10. I have 2 Dells that react differently to the same programming. The Dell desktop is perfect with W-10 in it and the laptop hates it. The HP has Linux and is the fastest of all with zero problems. I've had problems in the past and with the help of others much more knowledgeable, found out it was mostly me, not the computers. A good paid computer anti-virus and maintenance program or programs are the best thing I did to keep my machines in top condition, it took a while for me to realize this, but happy I did. :encouragement: Just sayin. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I swore long ago, the infernal machines are like people: Each one unique and with a different "personality". I've done builds of multiple machines using identical components and they each had subtle differences when the O/S, device drivers and niche software were loaded.

Spooky, when ya think about it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've always said computers can be emotional.

Pete

There's emotional and there's crap programming,

ALL THOSE THAT TRUST MS PROGRAMMERS PUT YOUR HANDS UP YOUR AR*SE'S NOW !

Apologies for the vent .

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Could be worse... you could be trying to talk into your mouse like Scottie. :wink-new: "Computer..."

In my case, although they say that Microsquish "Edge" is better than IE whatever, I've found it inferior. You can't directly save a webpage!!! How could they forget that?

D

Deleted member 8987

Edge uses the same engine as IE11, which most folks with their head not buried up their...oops...will agree was one of the absolute worst IE versions.
The bigger issue is the MS tracking and data mining incorporated in Edge to fulfill their new "business model" of not selling software any longer, but selling your data to advertisers.

Once you read all 45 pages of licensing agreements, and turn off all the stuff on 13 pages of opt out (note that it is NOT opt-in) (and find the next "update" turns most of them back "on) you will find you need to REMOVE edge, load FireFox (NOT the model for data mining MS used...Google Chrome), and kill Cortana.

"Last Known Good" OS is a ways back from 10.

Coming up fast on the one-year "freebie" upgrade to 10...and I wonder how many folks have bailed on it?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
As the old adage goes... if something is "free" then YOU are the product.

Yes, I really do need to go to Firefox (and my engineer son keeps reminding me). And, yes, kill Cortana!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As the old adage goes... if something is "free" then YOU are the product.

Yes, I really do need to go to Firefox (and my engineer son keeps reminding me). And, yes, kill Cortana!

Well what U waitin on, U be surprised what that little FOX will do for you.:highly_amused:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I found out that the latest version of Opera works best for me, it's the fastest browser I've used and so far, no issues. I've had problems with Firefox and Chrome, constantly dumping ads on the screen, Opera doesn't do that on my machines. So far kinda limited to Firefox in Linux. PJ