• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Gonna build me a Spitfire 6.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well after much deliberation I have decided to go ahead and build a Spit 6 out of my old MKII. Since it already has the wrong motor in it, why not upgrade it another step and go to a 2000 or 2500 cc Triumph. Other upgrades I plan on doing along the way to getting it on the road will include stiffening and tweaking the front suspension; a BMW 3 series independent rear end; old BMW 3 series 4 piston calipers for the front brakes, and my old triumph calipers on the rear brakes. I could use a little help on sourcing some parts. At work we have an early 3 series parts car, which has all the BMW parts I'll need. I don't know where a 6 cyl. triumph engine is though, so if anyone out there is willing to help out I need to find an engine and a GT6 hood for my project.

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Have you given any thought to useing a Datsun 240Z rearend? There is a guy down under that makes a bracket for the rear of the diff that bolts in where the stock setup was, They also used newer 1/2 shafts along with the TR outers.
I will have to see if I can find it again.
Good luck

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Actually there are a couple reasons I'm going with the BMW rear. I already have access to one, and after some preliminary measuring the rear end is only 4 inchs too long, and as a big plus the 4 bolt lug pattern is the same as the Triumph pattern. I'll easily be able to cut out the extra length in the axles and weld them back up. All that will be left after that will be to fab up the new mounting brackets for the rear end, coils, and shocks. All in all the BMW rear end change will be fairly straight forward. Thanks for the info on the hitachi diffs.

clyerly

Freshman Member
Hi Walter,
Currently there are both a GT6 engine and a GT6 hood listed on e-bay. Not too bad a price either. I have a friend here in Hickory that has maide such a conversion. The main thing to look at is the front springs. Go ahead and switch out your spite springs to GT6 springs and go with KYB or Koney Gas shocks.
Good luck, Carl

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yeah GT6 springs are one of the considerations I've made for the front end. Though nothing is final yet. The only thing I have decided on is that the front springs are going to go.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Why not keep it all Triumph? I have done a few of these,and kept them ALL triumph.Otherwise if you are going to hot rod it well, what the h88l, the skys the limit.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm not really looking to build a hot rod. I'm sticking with a Triumph power plant, because the way I see it thats the heart of the car. If the hearts no longer a Triumph then my Spitfire wouldn't be a Triumph anymore. Does that make any sense? Anyway I think that I can get a respectable amount of power out of the old triumph 6 cylinders. As far as the rear end and the brakes go they aren't that big of a deal to me to keep Triumph. I prefer the BMW independent rear end thats in my 2002 and the early 3 series over the swing axle thats in the spitfire, and the BMW 4 piston front calipers trumps the old Triumph calipers.