• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Help with engine code question.

mathrin

I have a 1971 MGB (VIN: GHN5UB241621).
qjPOpWV.jpg

I picked it up because the body looked in pretty good shape, it was a runner and it was at a good price.

I've been replacing and upgrading things as I go, but now I'm replacing the cooling system. New water pump, thermostat, alternator, belt, hoses and aluminum radiator. My car only has one carb, which I thought was odd since everything on Moss shows two, but I figured I had a single carb model. I don't really know much, so learning as I go.

Now that I have the new water pump in the car, I am noticing that the radiator hoses to match up with the kit I bought. I looked again, and noticed that the hose looks similar to the ones for the 1977-1980. So now I'm wondering if I even have the original engine and what I can do about it.

I'm attaching a picture of a metal plate that I found on the block just below the cylinder head. I'm hoping that this will help me figure out what engine I have in the car and go from there.

Looks like 18V884A11 00492
T98SmDP.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
1980 engines had a steel engine number plate. That may be what you have. If you radiator hoses look to be from 77-80 then I would suspect a serial number swap on the car??? Not many people move the radiator forward since the lower duct panel would have to be cut. Pics would help!
Bob

D

Deleted member 8987

Not sure what "88" means after 18V, but according to the Guru, copied selectively herewith, looks like it might be right.
" 18V as in both the later Sherpa and MGB, and Morris Marina 1800. "

The MGB used the 1800 for a long time, so there were codes to denote the differences between the engines, peculiar to MG;-
prefix bearings model market dates if known

18V** 5 Mk3 GHN5/D5 see below Oct 1971 onwards

** 18V was followed with a code for the market, such as if a 'Y' appears in the prefix, it is a Europe spec car; if a 'F' a UK spec car; if a 'Z' a north America spec car. An 'AE' after 1975 is a car with a cataylist fitted for California. The emission controls, timing changes, etc, require a workshop manual to identify the huge numbers of changes.

mike99

Freshman Member
Looked up VIN and engine numbers in Original MGB- Anders Ditlev Clausager which is considered an authority on these things.

the Serial Number or VIN GHN5UB241621 translates as :-
GHN = mg roadster
5= all cars from 1969-79
U = North American Spec
B= 1972 model year
241621 = car number. Jan 71 started 232725, Aug 71 started 258001 so yours would be around Mar 71 which agrees with 3/71 on plate

Engine code 18V884 A11 00492 is probably 18V884 AEL 00492 and is from a later MG Jun76-Oct 80

18V884 = USA ( not California), catalyst, with overdrive
AE = North America only, single carburettor and emission control
L = low compression 8:1
00492 = engine number from range of 101-10425

Until then I didn't know MG could have a single carb.- None were for UK Market. Hope that helps Mike.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Your engine is from a 1977 49-state car. As for the single carb...that engine would originally be equipped with a Zenith-Stromberg, but could have easily been swapped for some other single carb/manifold over the years. A pic will tell the tale....since it'll be obvious if you have the original combo intake/exhaust with the ZS carb, or a Weber downdraft (either 32/36 DGV or 38/38 DGAS), or a Weber sidedraft (45DCOE), or a Weber MCHH fitted to the original manifold in place of the ZS, or an SU HIF44 on either the original manifold - or on an Austin Marina manifold. As you can see, there are a lot of possible single carb options!