• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Head Gasket Issue

HarryL

Jedi Trainee
Recently I've been losing water from the rad; pulled the valve cover off and around #1 I/E valve springs noticed the familiar white mix.
Have taken the head off and it seems to be fine. Straight edged the heck out off it and all ok.
Have used a copper head gasket & cannot detect issues with it. Maybe I missed something so will re-check it am.
Block looks good after cleaning it up a bit. Planning on draining the pan to check for water. Nothing on the dipstick.
So I'm thinking it's something in the top end.
I have the 89mm set and am wondering about going with a Cometic Head Gasket. They only come in the 88mm.
size. Would that be usable?
Thanks Everyone,
Harry

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Was your copper gasket solid or sandwich? Solid can be a real problem. Check that your head studs are all good. Are the number one and two sleeves protruding the correct height (in thousandths) above the block? Don't know about the 88-89 issue, but I seem to recall the Moss catalogue or BPNW site saying that gasket size works. But I'm just not sure--sorry.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Harry,
How long ago did you build this engine? Another thing to look at would be the stud holes in the block...sometimes you need to chamfer them to make sure the head and head gasket fit all the way down on the block. You should be able to measure them with a straight edge across the holes.
Rut

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I remember when I rebuilt my 4a engine with 87mm pistons and used a standard, 86mm gasket. It didn't seem to cause any problems and the engine ran very well for many years. I don't know that I would recommend it if a proper sized gasket was available, but it seemed to work.

OP
H

HarryL

Jedi Trainee
Think I know the problem after listening to a buddy who was using a straight edge on the block & head.
The liners aren't protruding from the block enough. Will know tomorrow when I can take a look at the car.
Thanks,
Harry

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K TR2/3/3A New head gasket is installed.....did a compression check motor cold. Triumph 3
J Spitfire Payen Head Gasket -which way up ? Triumph 6
K TR2/3/3A Applying the Permatex copper gasket spray to the head gasket? Triumph 6
sim 948 aluminum head gasket Spridgets 2
K TR2/3/3A head gasket repair wire Randall Triumph 1
tinman58 TR2/3/3A Head Gasket Triumph 15
K TR2/3/3A Update on the blown head gasket Triumph 33
K TR2/3/3A Bad news...blown head gasket??? Triumph 15
AUSMHLY Engine Flush After Head Gasket Leak Austin Healey 19
KVH General Tech Head Gasket Sealant Triumph 4
KLUTZ Wedge Adding Blue Devil head gasket sealer Triumph 4
T TR2/3/3A tr3 head gasket Triumph 38
DrEntropy MGB Head gasket R&R goes on... MG 13
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Advice for which head gasket material is best Triumph 8
Csarneson Head Gasket Seal Austin Healey 6
R BJ8 Cylinder Head Gasket Austin Healey 38
B TR4/4A Head gasket won't lay flat Triumph 13
Michael Oritt Head gasket question Austin Healey 17
Got_All_4 General TR Payen brand head gasket sets what's the difference Triumph 10
Simmo TR2/3/3A Head Gasket Triumph 4
KVH General Tech Head Gasket Triumph 10
RJS General TR Head Gasket Test Fit Triumph 5
D TR2/3/3A head gasket... which way up?! Triumph 8
KVH TR4/4A Blown Head Gasket? Triumph 12
T TR4/4A Head gasket sealer question Triumph 7
T TR4/4A How to prep block to reinstall head for composite gasket Triumph 3
T TR4/4A Composite vs cooper head gasket with Randall's "trick" Triumph 6
T TR4/4A This head gasket doesn't look right to me - cooling passanges partially blocked? Triumph 18
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A What direction does the head gasket go? Triumph 4
T TR4/4A Best head gasket for a 4A? Triumph 12
DornTRoriginal TR2/3/3A TR3 Head Gasket Questions Con't Triumph 3
B Victoria British Head Gasket Austin Healey 6
T TR4/4A Seems like a bad cylinder head or head gasket but what do you think? Triumph 19
G Payen XK engine head gasket -- which side is the top? Jaguar 2
KVH General TR Cylinder Head Gasket: Stay Simple? Triumph 9
S Recommendation on Head Gasket? Austin Healey 14
S Tolerance for head gasket Austin Healey 10
RickB MGB Bought 1980 MGB and got it home - head gasket? MG 15
Gliderman8 TR6 Question on installing new head gasket Triumph 2
RedTR3 TR2/3/3A How to check for cylinder-to-cylinder head gasket leak Triumph 7
B Experience with Cometic Head Gasket for BN2? Austin Healey 8
S SaxMan's Cylinder Head Overhaul / Head Gasket Replacement Thread Spridgets 135
M TR2/3/3A Head gasket leaking in two places Triumph 13
S TR2/3/3A head gasket Triumph 5
AngliaGT General MG MGB GT Head Gasket - What do I need? MG 3
G TR2/3/3A TR3/TR4 Cylinder Head Gasket SElection Triumph 2
B MGB 1972 MGB, Head Gasket replaced...runs very poorly. MG 30
O HEALEY 100 Head Gasket Gone ? Austin Healey 10
J Blown head gasket in 3 min. a new record! Triumph 14
Lukens TR2/3/3A TR3 blown head gasket? Triumph 39