Thread: Two fuel pumps

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two fuel pumps

I've been thinking of replacing the Facet pump that is in the car with an Airtex for a quieter pump, but then I've heard of people running 2 pumps in series, switchable in case one fails. I was going to install the Airtex prior to the Facet and make them switchable.....any downside to doing this?
    1960 Bugeye AN5L43788, 1275, Datsun 5 speed, bunches of fun goodies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Two fuel pumps

I have both of those same pumps installed on Little Mo. I have them connected in parallel with a switch in my engine compartment to select which one to use. It works fine. If one of the pumps connected in series were to clog up you would lose all the flow. I know that the flow is supposed to go through whether or not the pump is functioning but I chose to eliminate possible problems. For a few years i did have mine in series but recently replumbed to eliminate the pumps as a source of the engine problem I was having.
    Nelson
    Original owner '62 Mk 2 Sprite aka Little Mo

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 2 Facets in parallel, , A y close to tank split to a fuel filter and then pump and then back to fuel line to front. Wiring is 2 a flip switch, 1 0 1 ) I did not add a valve as the pumps should allow flow in only one direction. When I started the first time I did not get pressure, but after pinching the one line fuel pressure built up and I haven't had any problems since, even driving in extreme hot condition or letting the car stand for 2 months.

I did the 2 filters route as I felt this gave me an extra option if one got clogged.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

AndriesS, I would really like to have a conversation with you concerning A series Datsun/ Nissan parts that I believe are available in SA but not here. I will PM you here.

Kurt.
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have two pumps, the original SU and a Facet, plumbed in series. The SU was rebuilt by Dave DuBois a few years ago and has not failed yet, but I do flip to the Facet occasionally just to make sure it is working. Here is an article by Dave on dual pumps:

https://userwebs.donobi.net/sufuelpu..._Fuel_Pump.pdf