• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SP250 steering rack

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think the TR rack is most commonly used. Check the videos Leno posted to see if he says what he used. The conversion sits on the top of my list of needed improvements to make trips less stressful. 2nd on the list is 5-speed!

OP
Feathers

Feathers

I think the TR rack is most commonly used. Check the videos Leno posted to see if he says what he used. The conversion sits on the top of my list of needed improvements to make trips less stressful. 2nd on the list is 5-speed!

The rack is going to happen wile I have the body off.
What is involved with doing a 5 speed and what will it get me?

Thanks
John

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Ben lives in Horsehead, goes by Banjo here on the BCF. He had emailed me about someone at his new job who just bought an SP from someone moving to FL. And since you are in NY also...
5-speed gives you synchro in 1st and much better rpm at highway speeds. Again, look at Leno's videos on his SP restoration.

OP
Feathers

Feathers

Ben lives in Horsehead, goes by Banjo here on the BCF. He had emailed me about someone at his new job who just bought an SP from someone moving to FL. And since you are in NY also...
5-speed gives you synchro in 1st and much better rpm at highway speeds. Again, look at Leno's videos on his SP restoration.

I bought mine out of Niverville Canada about a month ago and imported it into the US. Interesting trip.

What 5 speed did you go with? That would be easier with the body off also.
Thanks
John

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I used a Toyota W54 unit I bought on eBay from a yard in CA. Biggest (huge!) issue was in getting the bell housing. Ordered from AU and it took them 3 tries and 9 months to get it right. The tranny that Leno used is now trending up, but I don't know what the bell conversion is like.
As long as you are making changes, I would suggest an alternator, hazard flashers, transistorized fuel pump, Pertronix, halogen headlights, and dual electric fans to replace the engine fan you lose on the rack conversion.

OP
Feathers

Feathers

I used a Toyota W54 unit I bought on eBay from a yard in CA. Biggest (huge!) issue was in getting the bell housing. Ordered from AU and it took them 3 tries and 9 months to get it right. The tranny that Leno used is now trending up, but I don't know what the bell conversion is like.
As long as you are making changes, I would suggest an alternator, hazard flashers, transistorized fuel pump, Pertronix, halogen headlights, and dual electric fans to replace the engine fan you lose on the rack conversion.

Thanks for the info.

Alternator is a must, hazard flashers, transistorized fuel pump are going in. I will research the Pertronix ignition that seems like a good upgrade. I think it came with the halogen headlights. I have not seen dual fans but will look into that also.

John

OP
Feathers

Feathers

Hello
I have a Spitfire rack and tie rod ends coming.
I have to get a wheel, column, (2) u-joints and (2) rods to complete, I think.
Would anyone have a supplier or parts list for the rest of my installation?
It seems pretty straight forward but prior experience would avoid buying the wrong ones.
Thanks
John

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I will look at invoices to see if I can help. BTW, the Pertronix is the same one for the 8-cyl RR. With the conversion, you can put turn signal and headlight stalks on the column.

OP
Feathers

Feathers

I will look at invoices to see if I can help. BTW, the Pertronix is the same one for the 8-cyl RR. With the conversion, you can put turn signal and headlight stalks on the column.

That would be great.
I would like the turn signal in the wheel like the original, if that is possible, I think it is.

Many Thanks
John

alfa33047

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi, I built my own adapter and installed a Toyota 5 speed transmission in my SP250. I sawed off the bell housing of my good SP250 transmission and made a plate that would bolt onto my Toyota W58 trans and then welded the plate to my bell housing. I use the Daimler cross shaft, Daimler preasure plate, 84 Toyota Celica clutch disc. You would have to make a new pilot bushing and also Toyota tailshaft going out of the rear of the transmission that would bolt onto your Daimler driveshaft. The rear tailshaft mount would also have to be made and there are a couple of other little items that would have to be addressed. I have picture of all this and my rolling chassis with the rack and pinion steering from a TR-6 bolted to the chassis. I also stiffened up the rear of the chassis as it flexed when it was jacked up on one corner and I added another K brace cross member to the middle of the chassis to take the flex out. Call if you have any questions, Bill Close, (602)524-5351

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I am impressed. Not having those skills, and using a resto shop that had never done a SP, ordering one from AU was the only solution we saw. I really like the rpm/mph in 5th on the highway; find that if I can keep at a minimum of 2,000 on fairly flat roads it runs smoothly and I get above 25mpg.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If you are staying RHD then a RHD rack is needed if mounted in front of the suspension. I think if you just flip a LHD rack over the car will steer left when you turn right. That would be tough to get used to. Getting a steering rack from a old mini or Austin Marina LHD should work. They are mounted behind the engine and turn the wheels from the back side. Flipping that rack should work for RHD mounted in front of the engine. Now this is all from memory a lot of years ago. Research before installing a rack conversion on a RHD Daimler. I hope this helps . Bob

OP
Feathers

Feathers

Hi, I built my own adapter and installed a Toyota 5 speed transmission in my SP250. I sawed off the bell housing of my good SP250 transmission and made a plate that would bolt onto my Toyota W58 trans and then welded the plate to my bell housing. I use the Daimler cross shaft, Daimler preasure plate, 84 Toyota Celica clutch disc. You would have to make a new pilot bushing and also Toyota tailshaft going out of the rear of the transmission that would bolt onto your Daimler driveshaft. The rear tailshaft mount would also have to be made and there are a couple of other little items that would have to be addressed. I have picture of all this and my rolling chassis with the rack and pinion steering from a TR-6 bolted to the chassis. I also stiffened up the rear of the chassis as it flexed when it was jacked up on one corner and I added another K brace cross member to the middle of the chassis to take the flex out. Call if you have any questions, Bill Close, (602)524-5351

Hello Bill

I haven't look at this forum in a wile. I finally got the body off the frame so I can recondition the frame. I have a new RHD spitfire rack. a TR3 steering column and wheel. I want to get that installed. I have bracket plans from Wilf across the pond and John Carey sent me his drawings. I am going to mock Johns up with wood and use the info that Wilfs came with to locate it and see how it looks. The only thing I need is a couple u joints and a rod. I bought a w58 gear box and the kit from Conversion Components. It is supposed to be bolt on, so time will tell. I will give a call. I answered your PM before looking here so please feel free to call or email.

Thanks
John

OP
Feathers

Feathers

I am impressed. Not having those skills, and using a resto shop that had never done a SP, ordering one from AU was the only solution we saw. I really like the rpm/mph in 5th on the highway; find that if I can keep at a minimum of 2,000 on fairly flat roads it runs smoothly and I get above 25mpg.

Me Too.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
BTW, the national North American Daimler/Lanchester club (DLOC-NA) is meeting next weekend in Corning. We will participate in the Watkins Glen GP Festivalon Friday (Concorso Speciale at 4th & Franklin) and do a driving tour to Knapp Winery & Curtiss Museum on Sat. We'd be more than happy to have you join in, come by to look at cars, &/or drive whatever you want in the rain on Sat. Just let me know to look for you. Mine looks like this file:///Users/dalewright/Desktop/DSC09339.JPG

OP
Feathers

Feathers

BTW, the national North American Daimler/Lanchester club (DLOC-NA) is meeting next weekend in Corning. We will participate in the Watkins Glen GP Festivalon Friday (Concorso Speciale at 4th & Franklin) and do a driving tour to Knapp Winery & Curtiss Museum on Sat. We'd be more than happy to have you join in, come by to look at cars, &/or drive whatever you want in the rain on Sat. Just let me know to look for you. Mine looks like this file:///Users/dalewright/Desktop/DSC09339.JPG

I would love to come. What days? I am going to a Bass Tournament on the 14th.